Saturday, November 14, 2009

15+ DAYS TO GROW SOME HAIR BACK !!!

When I said haircut, I wasn't kidding.  And, neither was Khaled (my hair person for 10+ years, I'm sure). 

I met Khaled not too long after moving to Salt Lake.  After a few misses, I found a hair studio I enjoyed and  began frequenting it, initially a young woman took care of my hair.  She left, and I was left to make decisions.  What  to do?  I called the studio one day, desperate for a haircut.  The receptionist asked me how 'edgey' I was willing to go.  'Edgey?'  Meaning, there was an opening with a young man who had come to Salt Lake from Italy.  His clientele at that time was composed primarily of young women in the  community who modeled.  So, 'edgey';  as in, not mainstream. 

Too long a story already, I accepted the appointment and have been loyally having Khaled take care of my hair ever since.  Let's just say Khaled is thorough -- what might take someone 1/2 hour, takes him at least an hour.  The result -- really great hair; this time, tho, it is SHORT!

As I write this, I am re-reading -- and wondering, is there a theme in here?  Boy, it would be a stretch. 

However, this story would fit in with my 'space' theme this week -- that of allowing space in our lives for the new and/or the different.  The day I accepted the appointment, I let 'edgey' in the door.  See what an impact it had on me?  I've never forgotten the initial appointment conversation.  And, while I don't always walk out the door of the hair salon thinking I look lovely; by the next day, I'm happy.  I stay happy until about one week before another haircut is needed. 

So, hair shorter, I'm getting ready to teach my 9 am class this morning.  Then, I think I'll take in a yoga practice at Snowbird.  

Hope you have a great weekend,

No comments: