Sunday, November 15, 2009

JUST TWO WEEKS & FEELING FINE

In two weeks, I will turn 60.  Sounds old, doesn't it?  But, I don't feel old.  Granted, things are changing with the passage of time, but overall - I feel pretty darn good. 

Yesterday, I taught in the a.m.   I had planned to video the class.  When one of my teachers, Wayne, walked in to participate in the class, I became both flattered and nervous.  Not only was Wayne coming to class, but Katharine (sp?) joined him.  Wow, double flattered! 

Ready to start, video in the room, something went wrong and the screen went screwy.  Well, no time to fiddle with it, so discard the video idea and just teach.  I continue to practice my warm-up exercise -- taking students from instructions moving with the breath to just breath.  This was the second time for this group, and it's working.  I love it -- to just watch students move.  Whether they realize it or not, it also gives them time to feel their body -- stiffness, mental machinations - whatever is going on; it all be experienced in this warm-up and perhaps calmed as they settle into the movement.  We'll do it again next week, and - after class - I'll try to remember to ask them how they feel about it. 

So, how did the class go with Wayne in the room?  I was a bit nervous, but I didn't let it get the better of me.  The class was pretty mainstream - as it usually is.  I continued with the theme of creating space; heart quality(ies) of courage and acceptance; I think I wove those in during the class.  Best of all, it was fun.  I was able to be a bit lighthearted in spite of the nervousness.  What I realize on reflection, is that I basically ignored the other teacher in the room.   I focused on everyone else, made corrections, but I guess I assumed he was doing everything just fine.  There's an element of trepidation when correcting someone who is more experienced that I am -- let's just leave it at that.  Mental note:  everyone is there to be taught, even the other teacher(s) in the room. 

After class, we spoke for a minute -- he offered to make a donation (this was a free class - as is next Saturday - in celebration of our road construction completion).  Instead, I asked him to write 5 good things about the class and 5 things that will benefit from some 'polish' (I also asked Katharine to offer input).  I'm anxious to see that list. 

From the studio, I went up to Snowbird to join Matt & Jen's group for a practice from 12:30-3:30.  What fun.  I felt strong.  My foot wants to go behind my head, I just KNOW it.  My feet want to be over my head, I can FEEL it.  Even the funky pinca felt GOOD.  Fun practice and fun people to practice with.  Glad I ignored the threatening snowstorm and drove up.

Today, less exciting -- housework.  Maybe I'll take myself to a late lunch.  Howard's in Kansas visiting our daughter and 2 grandsons who live just outside Kansas City.  Nice to know he'll be home tonight. 

Enjoy Sunday,

No comments: