Monday, November 2, 2009

27 DAYS . . .

The countdown has replaced "blue flashlight".  Not promising any fireworks at the end of this count, but it will provide fodder for this blog. 

"Blue flashlight" reminded me of Jack, which means you get a Halloween story about him.  He loves M&M's; so much, that he does not eat any other kind of candy (his choice).  So, picture Trick or Treating -- as in, not every house will provide M&M's.  How did he handle this?  (My mental picture of the scene is that he got a bit upset when offered a candy other than M&M's.)  At each house, he looked over the candy selection.  If there were M&M's, great; if not, he was heard to say "Happy Halloween! No thank you." to the candy.  Poor kid ended up with about six small bags of M&M's in his bag.  In this case, being selective may not be such a bad thing; at least his Mother won't have to argue with him about what to eat when. 

So, moving on.  I perused some blogs this morning before entering mine -- the two I selected, Rajanaka Yoga (Douglas Brooks) and YogaNerd (Zhenja LaRosa) are so out of my league that I am sitting here in awe.  Of course, they write in their blogs once a month -- lots of time to write an incredible, thought-filled, and informative blog entry.  My style - writing every day or so - offers readers a bit more of the mundane, everyday topics (like flashlights & countdowns).  Oh, well, it works for me. 

My experience teaching this weekend was less than auspicious.  It is interesting how the energy of one person can affect the entire class -- especially the instructor (me).  I planned the class in advance, I reviewed, I also planned to video.  First, the video camera would not record.  So, after a couple minutes of fumbling with that, I gave up and moved on.  The energy I speak about was palpable -- stoic, non-conversational, body language that said "don't mess with me".  Interesting because I enjoy this person, and thought the feeling was mutual.  Maybe just off to a bad start that morning(?). 

As class progressed, things got better -- a bit of laughter, and a bit of conversation.  Unfortunately, for me, I allowed my well-laid plans to be thrown off, and I found myself teaching from the technical instead of from the heart.

Why mention this?  Because I will learn from it.  I can learn that my bad start, my bad mood, when projected into a room has the potential to affect other people and their experience.  I'm not sure that happened (that others were affected); maybe only I began stuttering and stammering as a result.  Perhaps no one else noticed or cared.  But, I did.  What's that about?  And, because people are people, I'd better figure out a way to handle it in the future. 

Enjoy your Monday,

No comments: