Wednesday, November 4, 2009

BLOG, FACEBOOK, NOW TWITTER (?) & 25 DAYS

I established a twitter account this morning -- wrote in my first entry:  "exploring twitter - expanding my world".  All this technology, all these passwords, all this writing -- it's all growth.  (I don't even really know what twitter is, but why not!)

Before I get too involved in this entry, tho, today is my oldest Grandson's birthday; so, Happy Birthday, Jake! 

I got a lot of response from yesterday's blog -- that "in my heart" exercise hit home for a number of people and - because this blog is seen on Facebook - many of the comments came via that source. 

I'm excited, also, because my friend, mentor, teacher - Sundari - has begun blogging about the training in Jackson (and she joined Facebook!).  As I read her first entry, describing our after-hours walks through the museum, I was transported right back there.  Having never been in or thought about being in a museum after hours - upon reflection, it was a very extraordinary experience.  No background chatter, no one walking in front of or around you to get to the next piece, no distractions - just the works of art to be 'heard'.  Great stuff.  Check out her blog (link under "blogs/websites I love").

It has been a stress-filled Fall for this Anusara-Inspired™ yoga teacher.  Since the Spring, I have dealt with the Dept. of Workforce Services regarding the status of teachers at my studio (independent contractors vs. employees).  We are almost at the end of that road, but that road will take a turn and the future of teaching at this studio will assume a different color -- that of instructors conducting themselves as a business.  Not an easy transition, but do-able and important.  What does "conduct as a business" mean?  LLC, business license, advertising/marketing themselves, insuring themselves, teaching at other locales as well as privates.  Many already do some of this -- the regimentation of it all will be not-so-palatable for some.

On the positive side -- Workforce Services went back through 2006 and assessed $$$ up to this past quarter and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There is a $$$ penalty, but my auditor is working with me to get that waived. Fingers crossed.

On other matters -- the road construction around the studio is just about finished.  Some orange cones along the side of the road (marking BIG holes one wouldn't want their car to venture into), some metal plates covering other hazards; but - for the most part - done for the winter.  Our parking lot is a bit messed up, with the elimination of one entry.  That has people parking all over, driving every which way -- kind of feels like an "every person for themselves" mentality.  Hopefully, that will calm and the landlord will re-stripe our parking lot -- giving us all some guidance. 

My Mother is home from the hospital -- lots of help going in to the house to help both Mom & Dad.  Daily calls from my Dad, asking questions, wondering when I'm going to be up there (not for a few weeks).  I feel some guilt for not having run right up to help, but it wasn't a serious issue that caused my Mother's hospitalization; and there was plentiful help to be had and already in place.  So, I'll try to let that guilt go for now. 

Other smaller issues -- teachers deciding to vacate spots on the schedule and the need for a new furnace at the studio (a resultant rent increase).

Some days it has really been difficult to be "in my heart".  My old mantra, 'this too shall pass', has been used repeatedly.  I'm looking forward to better times for the studio and more "in my heart" moments.

Almost forgot -- just 25 days! 

Enjoy your day,

No comments: