Wednesday, November 18, 2009

ELEGANT, ESSENTIAL 11 (Eleven) -- How about adding EXPANSIVE?

Too easy to come up with an 'e' word for this morning - two (three) choices, so I'm going with both (after all, it's my blog and I make the rules).   These were easy to come up with - elegant came to mind first, but when I opened the Mirriam Dictionary page, they were highlighting 'essential'.  I almost discarded 'elegant' for 'essential', but - at the last minute - checked 'yourdictionary.com'.  The definition of 'elegant' was expanded upon more, so it (the word) got to stay in the mix.  Then, upon reflection, came the word 'expansive'.  What to do? 

Elegant, definition (according to yourdictionary):  1)  characterized by dignified richness and grace, as of design, dress, style, etc.; luxurious or opulent in a restrained, tasteful manner;  2) characterized by a sense of propriety or refinement; impressively fastidious in manners and tastes; 3) marked by concision, incisiveness, and ingenuity; cleverly apt and simple - an elegant solution to a complex problem; 4) Informal excellent; fine; first-rate

Essential, definition (according to Mirriam):  Absolutely necessary -- imperative, required, indispensable, requisite, necessary, vital; see also crucial, necessary

Expansive, definition (according to Mirriam):  An adjective related to the word expand (to open up, unfold)

The dictionary lesson complete for the day, we can proceed. 

In our Anusara® trainings/classes/readings, we run into these words often.  For example, 'an elegant set of alignment principles';  'our essential nature'; 'be expansive in this pose -- reach to the 4 corners of the room'.  So, good, great words to describe eleven. 

I love all 3.  I hope I possess qualities of each word -- that I possess the incisive skills necessary to open up to the teachings I receive and relate.  Whatever!

So, yesterday was a good and productive day.  I took in Wayne's class in the a.m.  After class he presented me with my requested list of "good points" and "need polish points" from the class I taught and he attended.  Great feedback, and from a numbers standpoint, the 'good' outweighed the 'need polish' 6 to 4.  Anyone interested in a more expansive explanation, just ask and I'll elucidate (oh, my!). 

I  then took care of some errands (rather than procrastinate, which I am known to do), stopped home to let the dogs out for a bit, then to the studio for the 4 pm YogaHour class. 

For some reason people tend to show for classes at the exact start time (or even a few minutes late).  Everyone was late yesterday, throwing me into a bit of a panic -- as in, I've never had NO ONE show for this class.  I relaxed, shifted to acceptance and thought I'd use the hour in other productive ways.  Then people arrived.  Re-group, what to teach -- because by then I was out of teaching mode.  Reverted to my theme from last week, since these people had not heard it, and we rolled. 

After class, a couple more errands and home for the evening. 

Today is "Gentle Yoga" -- I love this group.  It's more of a challenge to teach - keeping in mind some of the limitations that students arrive with - but, their appreciation, loyalty and studentship makes it worth it. 

Hope your Wednesday is WONDERFUL,

No comments: