Saturday, November 28, 2009

ONLY 1 (One)

We're finally here, almost to the end of the 'count-up.  If you've been with me for a while, thanks for humoring me in this way of marking my entrance to a sixth decade.  If you're reading this for the first (or second time), I promise it usually is about yoga with some brief forays into grandson stories. 

So yesterday, as I reported, we did some serious cleaning.  This morning, I'll throw a few more things into the car to drop at Goodwill, but my main activity will be yoga with Karen Sprute-Francovich in Coeur d'Alene.  The schedule says she's teaching - let's hope it's so (no matter who's teaching, I'm going).  I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again -- her kula is one of the most welcoming I've experienced; a great group.

I just read Karen's blog (also listed under 'blogs/websites I love' - Garden Street Yoga).  She echoed some of my recent thinking about everyone becoming a yoga teacher.  Not that that's a bad thing - more teachers - but, I agree with Karen that people's first thought after taking a series of yoga classes ought not be "I'm going to become a yoga teacher".  That thought might percolate after a significant period of time spent in sadhana (steady practice over a long period of time with devotion). 

I wonder if people attend classes with popular instructors, love the energy these teachers are able to instill, and impulsively jump in to thinking "that's what I want to do".  And, many studios (and now our community colleges and Universities) are finding this impulsive thinking a significant source of income that funds business  operations. At least, that's my opinion and this is my blog.

Well, it's not useful for me to get too troubled by this phenomenon.  I'll just keep plugging along on my path, my sadhana.  It's been a gradual immersion, first to the practice, then to the teaching, and now to my goal of becoming a Certified Anusara® Teacher.  I sometimes wonder why - why at this age do I want this?  Because I want this Certification that designates a tremendous amount of study and commitment.  I also see a population of people who need someone like me -- someone like themselves -- as their teacher. 

So, onward with the study, with the practice, with the teaching -- it will happen (Certification).  I will make it. 

Have a great Saturday,

No comments: