Tuesday, December 29, 2009

CHECK ONE THING OFF THE LIST . . .

A list while on vacation?  I realized I created just such a monster in my blog entry yesterday -- a list of things I hope to do and accomplish.  Aren't vacations about relaxing, going with the flow, enjoying whatever happens?

Yes and no (at least for me).

In order for me to enjoy my time, to feel good about it, to feel safe, I just realized the three A's we apply to our Anusara® practice will play heavily (even on vacation).  If you don't know (or remember) what the A's are, here's a reminder or brief introduction:
  • Attitude
  • Alignment 
  • Action
Many people function just fine with a go-with-the-flow schedule, allowing life to happen so to speak.  I am not one of those people.  I need a bit of structure (even on vacation) to make the most of the events I'm experiencing.  These three A's fit quite nicely into my life (even on vacation).

Before we left SLC, I began to think about the trip -- how it would go.  The drive down, the dogs, the length of time away from the studio and my 'routine', how to handle family members (cats & birds) left at home, etc., etc., etc.  This was setting my attitude.  And - especially for a vacation - a positive and informed attitude is super important, don't you think?    So, there's the first A - ATTITUDE.

How I dealt with each of the issues mentioned in the paragraph above reflects my alignment.  Aligning with an intention for a positive outcome and then creating an atmosphere in which the positive is able to happen.  Stocking the car for a drive through unknown territory, paraphernalia for 2 dogs, hotel that is 'pet friendly', studio ready and instructors forewarned, housesitter arranged for.  In other words, taking my attitude and aligning for the best possible outcome.  The second A - ALIGNMENT.

The action?  Well, in my mind, it is a result of "first + second = third (without complications)".  If I cultivate the appropriate attitude (think of all the variables and how to handle them), then add the needed alignment (put my plan to handle said variables into place), I'm on the road to the desired action -- a successful journey.  The third A - ACTION.

Why did I even think of this?  In reading a friend's blog, she mentioned fear -- that fear is insidiously working it's way into many of the activities of her life.  I don't think that's unusual (mainly because I've been in that position and still find myself in that less-than-comfortable spot at times).  So, what's my best antidote?  You got it --

Think about vrksasana (tree pose) for a moment.  Cultivate in your mind an attitude to stand tall, firmly supported by the strong foundation of your standing leg (attitude).  Now, begin to put that into place -- apply the principles; the pieces of the pose (align it).  As you stand tall, open your vrksasana (tree) to the sun -- ta da!! (there's the action).

My life, my yoga -- it all works a bit better when I step back, examine, then apply the basic "3 A's" tool.

Enjoy Tuesday,

No comments: