Thursday, December 24, 2009

EMPOWERMENT

Last week, when I was 'playing', I asked another yoga instructor to sub my Gentle Yoga class on Wednesday.  (Actually, I wasn't 'playing' that morning -- we needed to go to an appointment and I needed to drive; so, there was a valid reason for subbing out the class.)

Yesterday, I returned to the class to hear accolades and compliments for the sub.  I should be happy, right? I should be, but I have some reservations about being TOO happy.  After all, this is my class, my students, and I guess -- truth be told -- it was a bit hard hearing that they liked someone else; that someone else made a positive impact on them.

Human nature in the form of jealousy sticking its ugly head out of the sand.  Step back, take a breath, look at the situation, put on my beginner mind and accept it.  There are many wonderful yoga teachers in our city.  I happened to find one to sub this class who my students enjoyed having as their teacher for the day.  It's not the end of the world, and - after telling me how great it was - they followed with the statement I was still first and foremost in their hearts.  Good for them; at least it made me feel better.

So, what does this teach me (besides I'm not the only person who can teach this class)?  My students are smart, they are discerning, they know when they are getting good and valuable information, and they are able to be honest with me.  All good things.

Having said that, now I've made myself feel better.  Better yet, I'll feel comfortable knowing that there are teachers out there who can sub my classes and who have the skillset to work in my classroom environment.

My theme yesterday revolved around empowerment.  Empowering my students is demonstrated when I can look at the group and say 'they know how to take care of themselves'; they know what is good information, good teaching, and what might not be suitable for them.

I have been taking Christina Sell's on-line mentoring class for the past 10+ weeks (a 12-week course of study).  Her repeated message is that our job is to empower our students, not just to lead them through poses as if they had a ring in their nose (my words, not hers), but to truly teach them yoga -- the sanskrit, the philosophy, the poses, the reasons why we do things in an orderly way, etc., etc., etc.

So, for all my angst about being 'replaceable', I am happy; happy that this group of people is showing the signs of being empowered in their yoga practice.

p.s. I highly recommend Christina's program, if you are an Inspired™ instructor or have just finished an Anusara® teacher training course -- it has been incredibly helpful in empowering me.

Merry Christmas,

No comments: