Saturday, December 26, 2009

NOW WHAT?

Gifts delivered, gifts opened; food prepared, food eaten; memories made, memories to be enjoyed (we hope) -- now what?  Perhaps, savor those memories.

I remember one of my yoga teachers using just this as a theme, as in - hurry, hurry, hurry get the pose nailed, now what?  Instead, he encouraged us to embrace the process of learning the pose, the steps necessary, the openings needed; then - once accomplished - enjoy.  Keep doing it, keep working (it only gets better).  Even work on the safe exit required by our yoga poses.

His intention -- to have us think about the process, rather than just 'nailing' poses.  Many of us do think 'check', 'check', 'check', those are done -- now what, what's next?  Obviously, that class and theme had a significant impact to have remained in my 'memory bank'.

I was in a class last week, working on urdhva dhanurasana.  Wayne had us do the pose a couple times by ourselves.  Then we worked in three-somes to help each other.  For many, it was a step back because several students had urdhva's that were very advanced.  What did I notice?  I noticed that, when helped by others, I could feel the energy working in my shoulder blades, I was able to notice my arms -- how straight they were, and how vertical to the floor.  The help took some of the effort away, allowing me a deeper observation of the princples and actions involved.

Something to think about as I work to empower my students in class.

Now, on to the New Year's celebrations.  Enjoy Saturday,

No comments: