Wednesday, December 9, 2009

FLASH BACK MOMENT

 Yesterday I taught YogaHour at  4pm.  It was a small, but fun group.  And, I was teaching it on the tail-end of a busy day.  Here's a brief rundown of Tuesday's activities: 
  1. Up early, blogging and studying (now, I can study my new MacBook!)
  2. Wayne's class -- yes, I braved driving in the snow to get to class.  Freeway was a parking lot, so took lots of side roads and zig-zagging, but I made it with time to spare.
  3. Then to pick up the MacBook, which is now loaded with my stuff from the old Dell.  I also decided to take the time to 'get acquainted' with it (their name for your first one-hour training session).  Wow! Can this machine do a lot.  Loving it! 
  4. Now, stop by the VW dealership.  Yes, we are considering a trade-in.  Buying or leasing a new car is kind of like going to the dentist -- NOT something we look forward to, always a challenge.  We have found, however, a nice young man to work with and perhaps this will be a different experience -- we can always hope.
  5. Pilates is next -- I haven't done pilates in a couple weeks.  Interesting how I felt during the session -- stronger and more receptive.  That happens with yoga, as well.  I think when we return to a regular activity after a brief hiatus, we return with a more open mind.
  6. On to The Yoga Center (my studio).  Write the rent check and deliver it.  Respond to a couple messages I wish I hadn't gotten, then YogaHour -- fun, small group.  We tried "L" at the wall, all but one proceeded to kicking up to handstand. 
That is still an elusive move for me (kicking up).  Not sure why.  If I have help, I can get up and I enjoy being up.  I'm even feeling a bit more independent during handstand.  The process of kicking, tho, just has me scratching my head.  That is part of my motivation for trying to press-up, instead.  I know it would be much easier to kick up, but when it's this elusive (7 years of trying), what is one to do?

As I watched students trying to kick to the wall, I experienced a memory 'blip' or flashback.  That of attending my first teacher training with John Friend in Miami, about 4 years ago.  During the training, I asked him to observe me trying to kick up.  Used a bolster, I kicked, unsuccessfully.  We just tried once, he stopped me and said "you're not ready yet".  Tears in my eyes, I thanked him. 

There is rarely a kick-up attempt that doesn't bring that memory back; as in, when will I be ready?    And, I worry somedays that it's taken on a life of its own and I've developed a mental block to the actions needed.    

Challenge #1 - Press-up; progressing, tho no lift-off yet
Challenge #2 - Welcoming attitude/presence; working well and surprisingly easy to work on
Challenge #3 - Fluid, energetic teaching; also easy to work on because it's fun
Challenge #4 (new on my list) - MacBook Pro conversion; with all the help available, this one ought to be easy to work on

So, today -- Gentle Yoga; then go 'discuss' with the VW salesman.

Hope your day is great,

No comments: