Wednesday, December 2, 2009

NOTES ON BEING A 60-YEAR-OLD YOGA INSTRUCTOR (and other things)

I've been sixty for 3 days now.  That hardly makes me an authority on the subject, but I can give you a brief preview of things to expect.  By the way, I was mistaken when I wrote 'sixth decade'.  I am actually entering my 7th (seventh) decade (WHOAAA !!!).

So here are some observations: 

1.  I attended Wayne's class yesterday, feeling strong.  Looking around at the room; everyone younger than me; yet I am doing everything they are doing.  A twinge in my right shoulder caused me to move a bit more slowly into Warrior II (no fluorishing, cartwheel openings), but that's been an issue for longer than I've been sixty - so, does it count? 

2.  I am hankering for a goal (notice my language sometimes shifts to sayings that are 'older than dirt'; that's also been happening for longer than I've been sixty).  So, last night I logged onto Facebook one last time and saw Jane Norton's entry about joining the group "30-Day Yoga Tigress Challenge" - it's a group created by Amy Ippoliti (who I have yet to meet).  Purpose of the group -- to take on a challenge each month.  Looks to be a relatively new creation, and the description talks about challenges that are not always yoga-related.  This month's challenge, tho, is to work on a press-up handstand, giving it 3 attempts every day. 

After Wayne's class yesterday, I took a moment to do "L" at the wall, take one leg up, then briefly start to move the other foot away from the wall.  Did that on both sides.  Seems like a perfectly reasonable goal to work on press-ups from here.  My recent 'independent sensation' during handstands gives me motivation to at least give it a try.  What can happen?  I will get stronger, even if the press-up is elusive. 

I am so tired of trying to kick to the wall without success, that another method of getting into handstand without help is desperately needed for my psyche.  Do tigresses ROAR?

Still open to other challenges, but this seems like a good one; and the Facebook connection will give me some friendly support.  So, onward!

3.  Any emotional unheavals in the past 3 days?  None -- considering the looming parental issues, always-present studio issues, and day-to-day home front activities, things have been amazingly calm.  I hope that calm will last at least until after the holidays. 

Summation:  Physically and emotionally, I am feeling not much different. 

I received wonderful phone messages, e-mails, and cards from my friends and family -- all echoing the same sentiment.  That sentiment:  How proud and amazed that I am doing what I'm doing; and that I must wear that mantle with pride.  I plan to. 

I must tell you the story of a student of mine.  S began coming to my class about 9 months ago (when I started YogaHour).  She had recently relocated to SLC from Houston, and was well aware of Anusara and John Friend.  Unfortunately, one of her first forays into a yoga studio here was not a positive experience.  The instructor's attitude was discouraging; as in, 'we're going to be doing things you might not want to do'.  This, before the instructor had seen S's practice -- just an over-the-counter judgment.  As you might expect, S left without taking the class; and has little positive to say about that instructor, if the name comes up. 

Now, S is a year or two older than me.  My belief is that the instructor just saw her age; and I - having attended that person's classes - know there are people in that person's classes less capable than SS has been a faithful student for these 9 months.  Her adhikara (studentship) is exemplary, and I see strength and integrity in her yoga practice.

So, a cautionary note to yoga instructors, including myselfNever judge a book by its cover.  I'm sure the yoga instructor of which I speak would argue that didn't happen.  I think it did -- I think we do tend to look at people, make judgments, and let those judgments color our expectations -- even if it has nothing to do with age. 

S and I are among a growing group of older yogis who have skills and - where the ability to do a specific pose might escape us - we have wisdom.  That's what 7 decades does for us. 

Teaching Gentle Yoga this morning at 10.  Then practice, to include 3 attempts at a press-up handstand.

Enjoy your day.

No comments: