Thursday, December 3, 2009

NOTICING

I got a 'hammer-over-the-head' reminder yesterday when I read Christina's blog of a human tendency that is less than flattering -- that of (sometimes) not welcoming (noticing) the new person in the room. 

It's a trait I've experienced personally -- so, I thought it o.k. to expand on her thoughts from my viewpoint.  Click on her blog link to get the whole 'scoop'.

So, what's my experience?  6 years ago, I attended my first John Friend retreat at Inner Harmony.  I was one of 4 students in a group of 60 who had never participated in one of his events.  I went by myself, as I often do.  56 of the attendees had met or were friends with one another from previous events or circumstances.  They were excited to be together again.  While cordial, some failed to 'notice' me.  

Fortunately, I met some really great people at that event, and my zeal for pursuing more was not dampened by feeling excluded at times. 

Yesterday's reminder of that week and the way I still feel and act sometimes - especially now that I move closer to the inner circles - was a good one.  It offers me a challenge for the next month (and the rest of my life). 

This challenge has two components: 
  1. To step up -- to interject myself when I am in new settings (because I often attend classes and events by myself, and my tendency to be introverted adds to the challenge). 
  2. To notice the new person, to make conversation when appropriate; at the very least, to smile.
My challenge will extend beyond the yoga world.  I can do this anywhere.  

Most importantly, tho, as a teacher of yoga, I must make sure that my classes are welcoming, and that my regular students are welcoming.  How to do that?  Well, I start by always introducing the new person in the room.  Fortunately, my 'regulars' step up to the plate and support me in this.  They do a great job at making new people feel welcome.  What a blessing!

Well, one thing I've learned in the past 4 days of being sixty -- the challenges are there, I just have to open my eyes and look for them.

Going to Wayne's class this a.m. (will get in 3 attempts at a press-up, even if I have to stay after class).  I teach YogaHour at 4 pm, then YogaSpecific at 5:45 (tonight's topic:  "If you can't (your words), you won't").

Have a nice Thursday,

No comments: