Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A BIT EXCITED . . .

It seems like forever since I've seen my "gentle yoga" students.  Will teach the class this morning at 10, and  am sitting at the computer pondering what to teach.

This class requires a certain nimbleness -- as in, you are never sure who will walk in and what that student will be dealing with physically.  The longer I teach this group, the more 'nimble' I become.  I will create a plan, a sequence, etc., and some days walk in to a group in which there is one person who no way can do what I've planned.  You might say "but, you're teaching the group".  Yes, but - in this case - it's a smaller group, some with special considerations, so 'teaching the group' doesn't always work.

To me, this kind of teaching is my choice.

I've met with and heard from several newer teachers in the community this past week.  All looking for places in which to teach their new skills.  In each case, I've asked them to tell me what type of class they are comfortable teaching and what population they prefer.  As new yoga teachers, it is always comfortable to teach what we know best and that usually emulates our own practice.

One of the blessings of my teaching so far is that I have been thrown a few curve balls that have enhanced my teaching skills.  For example:

  • Volunteer Teaching in the Justice System:  Has taught me how to teach a class using only my verbal skills -- no way are we allowed to touch prisoners.  So, I have to become creative; I've learned how incorporate one of my earliest lessons - saying an instruction 3 different ways (taken from my first Teacher Training with John Friend).  Because not everyone hears an instruction the same way.  What a way to expand my ability to speak instructions.
  • Teaching at the Community Center for the Deaf:  In addition to some signing skills, this experience taught me to think ahead.  If someone can't hear you, then how do they know how long to stay in child's pose?  If you've been teaching Anusara Yoga for a while, you'll know that it is EXTREME multi-tasking.  Add to that, thinking ahead; what will we do next and how will I communicate it to the class.  
  • Speaking to a group of IRS managers about how to relax:  Wow, that was a bit tougher than I thought.  Imagine 200 people sitting around tables in a huge conference-type room.  They've been in meetings all day, they're in street clothes, and they're looking to you to tell them how to relax!  That tested my ability to talk for 2 hours, to give them exercises they could do at their desks and/or at home, to teach them those same exercises while in the comfort(?) of this setting.  For someone who  used to hyperventilate at the prospect of speaking to even 10 people, this was truly a growth experience and revelation for me.  
Just like Trichonasana, my whole teaching experience has been growing and evolving.  All these less-than-typical teaching situations have given me gifts I would have scoffed at 5 years ago.  

Last night, I heard from a teacher in South Dakota who is developing a yoga program for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans.  Wow!  The things we can do when we put our minds to it and when we step out of the conventional classroom and - maybe - our comfort zone.  

Have a great Wednesday,

No comments: