Thursday, January 7, 2010

JUST AS I THOUGHT . . .

Gentle Yoga yesterday was FUN.  Fun to see my students, fun to teach, fun to laugh -- a great group and unlike so many yoga classes you might find yourself in.  This one, the students talk to one another, share stories, introduce themselves -- amazing and wonderful.

In the spirit of being 'free spirits', the students feel comfortable and secure enough to give me a bit of my own medicine (as in, guff).  That doesn't mean they don't pay attention and don't do the things asked of them, it means that they are able to do those things with a lightheartedness.  And, if it (the work I am asking them to do) gets a bit much, I am sure to hear about that, as well.

By the way, I looked up the word "guff" before using it -- I found words I had never used or heard of before.  Check these out:  piffle, poppycock, malarkey, hokum, codswallop, flapdoodle -- and that's not all.  Check out guff or nonsense in your thesaurus.  How about if I had typed:  "give me a bit of my own medicine (as in, codswallop)".  Would you have known what I meant?  I wouldn't have; I do now, tho.

Back to the topic at hand.  We used the wall a bunch yesterday -- what a great tool to teach students principles without wearing them out in more intense poses.

Then, it was on to the Jail.  We have recently changed from teaching men to teaching minimum security women.  Whole different atmosphere in class; and, to be honest, I am struggling with that.  The men were respectful, listened carefully, did all they were told.  The women?  Well, no offense ladies, but in this setting they are less-than-attentive, complain (whine?) more than the men, are less willing to give some poses even a try.  That's not a blanket evaluation, because there are some who do take the class seriously; and, you can tell they are not appreciating the ones who are talking, whispering, giggling, etc.    Forces me to put on my 'stern mother' face and voice, which is not what I want to do in teaching situations.  Maybe I could use "don't give me any of your flapdoodle today"; think that would work?  Enough.

Don't you love when things come full circle?

So, today -- Wayne's class, then YogaHour at 4 pm and Level 1 at 5:45 pm.

Have a nice Thursday,

No comments: