Thursday, January 21, 2010

FIRST KALI, NOW LAKSHMI . . .

The second of the 3-class teleconference series with Sally Kempton was last night.  Another night of marveling at Sally's voice and her command of the information she is transmitting.

Last night, she introduced me to Lakshmi.  I have a small statue of Lakshmi in my studio.  Purchased it at an Anusara® training from Manoj (sp?).  To date, I have had a small bit of knowledge of Lakshmi, but have never really explored her.   I think I bought the statue because of its attractiveness, not realizing the importance of understanding Lakshmi and her energy.

And to introduce Lakshmi, Sally used stories -- the stories are, to me, invaluable in communicating to students just what these foreign-and sometimes odd-looking statues in the studio mean.  Then I have a theme, or at least a supporting piece of information for an already-established theme.

For example, what better way to tell students about the meaning of Virabhadrasana than by knowing the story of Virabhadra's 'birth', and then having a student in the class with dreadlocks!  Perfect.  It also begins to set the stage for talking about the Nataraj.  I haven't yet found a best source for these 'stories'; so, every time I hear one I write it down and save it.  The opportunities may not happen often, but they do happen and I like to be prepared.

And, a few weeks ago someone asked me where I find the 'stories'.  Mainly word of mouth, but I've also found Wikipedia to be a reasonable source.  There's always a lot of information, then the task is to condense it into a relatable story for students, a story that's short and interesting and gives them an image that can help to support what I am teaching.

So, now I have more 'stories', and more images and information of Lakshmi to contemplate.  I rushed in with Kali -- she is so powerful that I wanted to share her with students right away.  I'll move more slowly with Lakshmi -- that is a reflection of my personality.  It is much easier for me to talk about the fierce energies, I think, than the soft, loving ones.

One phrase that Sally repeated many times during last night's session:  "Honor Lakshmi by becoming Lakshmi".  Become that person who is emotionally balanced; fiscally responsible; honors commitments; sets intentions that benefit others; maintains cleanliness - body, mind, environment; and practices unconditional loving-ness and forgiveness; etc., etc., etc.  BIG.

Have a nice Thursday,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Leslie, Regarding the stories, have you seen the book that Manoj produced. I bought mine from him in Tucson at one of the workshops. It is called 'Spiritual Art and Mythology of India Anecdotes and Symbolisms'. It sounds like the stories he tells in the workshops. You are an inspiration. Hope to see you in Driggs, March. Bonnie in Montana