Sunday, January 3, 2010

HANUMAN CHALEESA

Songs in praise of Hanuman.  The January 'challenge' posed by Amy in the "30 Day Yoga Tigress Challenge" on Facebook.

Sounds simple enough.  Sing/chant the Chaleesa 3 times a day for the 30 days of January.  I can do this.  But, wait -- the chaleesa is 40 verses long -- something I had not realized before yesterday.  Had never seen it in print, just heard it chanted.  Now, I know.  40 verses.

One of the 'challenge' participants wrote that he/she is beginning by memorizing 4 verses a day.  Do you know how long it took me to memorize the Anusara chant (which is 4 verses total)?  A long time; as in a couple months before I really got it.  So, memorizing 4 verses a day appears to be a stretch for me.

I have started, tho.  Chanted it along with Krishna Das (his ssllloooowwwww version) yesterday 3 times; and again this morning.  Then I just listened to it (maybe it will osmose into my consciousness).  Amy does say that having it playing for much of the time is helpful to being able to memorize it.

But, that's not all -- when we practice, we ought to try hanumanasana 3 times, as well.  Didn't do that yesterday, but might try it today.

The good of all this:  verse 38 -- "Jo sata baara paata kara koee chootahi bandi mahaa sukha hoee"; translation:  'whoever recites this a hundred times is released from bondage and gains bliss'.   Verse 39 goes on to tell us that 'one who reads this Hanuman Chaleesa gains success. . .".  So, bliss and success plus a significant mental exercise.

I have read it, I am chanting it.  Having started yoga at an advanced age, with cynical inclinations well implanted, I'll keep you posted on the outcomes.  I am finding it a soothing way to start my mornings.

Enjoy Sunday,

No comments: