Monday, January 4, 2010

POST #250

Yes, it is -- astonishing for me to think that I have been writing this blog for almost a year (I think I started around Valentine's Day 2009).

In the beginning, it was a bit of a stretch to put my thoughts on 'paper'.  Then, it got easier; I felt myself becoming more animated, more free in the writing.  Then - when I attached it to Facebook - I felt pressure, pressure to write; pressure to write well - worrying that the larger audience, consisting of many more friends and peers, was sitting out there and judging me (big ego, eh?).  It was not quite so easy to write then.  So, I discontinued the automatic link to Facebook.  Occasionally, when I feel truly 'inspired' in my writing, I'll post a link.  That takes much of the pressure off, and I am moving back to the animated, free feeling I experienced in the beginning.

I just finished my 'homework' for Christina Sell's on-line mentoring series.  Today's assignment, write a  class plan to introduce and teach Trichonasana to beginners.

I have never thought of Trichonasana as much of a 'beginner' pose; maybe because it took me a LONG time to get to it, and I still find myself working hard in the pose.  Now, when I do the pose, I remember Christina's teaching of the pose in July at The Yoga Center, where she asked us to place 1/3 of our weight into the lower arm, then LIFT the front foot.  My version was NOT pretty; but each time I do the pose since then, I notice more and more weight moving into that arm.  And, I visualize taking that foot off the floor.

All this to tell you that 12 years into this practice, I am still learning even from the 'beginner' poses.

We have 2 more sessions with Christina (12 in all).  It's been a great experience for me -- so, here's an endorsement.  Uninterrupted teaching, lots of great information, and lots of tips for putting it all into the play of our teaching.  And - for me - it makes the play more fun, more meaningful; I hope my students would say the same.

Enjoy your Monday,

No comments: