Sunday, January 10, 2010

HANUMANASANA (finally)

Saturday, Jan. 9, 2010 -- mark the date!  Why?  Because after months of preparation and waiting, I finally taught hanumanasana as the apex pose in my 9 am class.

What's the big deal? (you might ask)  Well, each time I have prepared and worked towards teaching a sequence leading to this particular pose, the class composition has just not been right.  That is one of the perils of an all-level class -- I am never quite sure who will walk in the door.  At one end of the room may be a very experienced student; at the other, a student newer to the practice who might never return if I threw that pose at them.

Once again, don't get me wrong, I teach the group; but, so far, the group has been small.  So, you might say, I am in a preparation and cultivation stage.  Preparing - i.e., making the name of the class more approachable (Level 1, instead of Anusara-Inspired™ Level 1), so people will come (or, as one person said, not think the class is too 'fancy').  Cultivating - keeping the class truly basic, so I don't scare people away (who me?).

Yesterday, tho, in walked a group of students all with enough experience to work safely towards the pose.  Then, the challenge was in my court -- as in, do I have the 'moxie' to teach such a pose?  Especially when you consider that my hips still have a few more inches to travel to get to the floor.  About halfway through the class, doubt raised it's ugly head -- I found myself looking at the group and wondering "why do I think I can teach them anything new or "ah-ha" about this pose?", "what audacity!"

Then, I remembered that, in my carefully-crafted intro, I told them we were working towards the pose (using a wise teacher's admonition that a student who knows they are working to a challenging pose, and that all the work in advance is good and safe preparation, will work with a bit more intensity).  I had committed myself; no way could I back out without looking like a coward (in my mind).  And, as I looked around the room, I could see that each person was capable and mindful enough to give the pose a go.  Therefore, I also was not able to blame backing out on their lack of wherewithal.

We must move on.  Shove 'doubt' out the back door and continue.  Well, long story short -- everyone made it.  Not quite to the floor, but there were a few ah-ha moments along the way.  Have you ever thought bringing your back heel to your glute (in a kneeling lunge) would be an ah-ha moment?  Well, it was in this class.  And, a good preparation for hanumanasana (a-la Desiree).

Doubt desist darkening Leslie's door !!!

Have a restful Sunday,

No comments: