Monday, January 11, 2010

MONDAY NOTES

The first full week of January was a great one, and I am excited to begin week two.  My resolutions, for the most part, are in place -- especially the 'biggie'.

Using the word 'biggie' in reference to one of the biggest journeys of my present life reminds me of a major irritation.  What better place than this blog to get it off my chest.

What IS is it about the use of the words 'peeps' and 'pals' that irritates me when I read them used in relation to someone's yoga students?  Perhaps it falls into the same category as the waitperson who calls us 'guys' when walking up to our table.  When looking at a couple (male, age 65; female, age 60), what possesses a 20-30 year old to call us 'guys'?    (Perhaps I shouldn't be so picky -- just looked up 'guys' in the on-line dictionary and it is a "noun, when used informally refers to people of either sex".)

Maybe the key to my irritation is the word "informal"; and that the use of this 'informal' way of referencing students/friends reflects a casual (and grasping?) attitude towards the relationship.  As though, if we refer to our students with familiarity they will feel included, part of the group, and - therefore - stick with us, who cares how good our teaching is?

This whole thought process goes back to the "look at my audience" teaching that Sundari emphasized in our training in October.  A comment heard one way by one person, will take on a totally different meaning to another.  A comment meant as a compliment, may be heard as a criticism (I know this one to be true; the student had the 'moxie' to tell me.).  I think we can apply the same formula to how we refer to the people we are teaching.

When I look at students, I try to see individuals; and it takes me a while to know the nuances of their yoga class personalities.   I am not sure I will ever use informal verbiage to refer to our relationship -- these relationships are too valuable to assign cliches to (cliche:  a noun defined as a phrase that is overused and lacks original thought).   Whoa !!  Just reading that definition will discourage me from using the offending words.

So, now that I've spouted a bit -- my task is to find another word than 'biggie' to refer to my 2010 efforts.

Have a great Monday & week,

(p.s. 'peeps' is defined as a high-pitched sound (says nothing about 'people'); and 'pals' are defined as good friends or in expressions of anger, as in "back off, pal.)

1 comment:

Scotchananda said...

I'm very guilty of of using the word "guys" in a yoga class setting and just about any everyday situation. I wonder if I find comfort in the informal. For as I was reading this post I realized that I pretty much want all situations to be informal...

I think that I'll task myself with taking on a much more formal approach to ALL of my encounters today. Maybe I'll spend a very uncomfortable day, we'll see. Tomorrow I'll attempt to find a middle ground that seems and feels respectful yet comfortable...