Thursday, March 18, 2010

CHAIRS !?!?!?!

I use chairs in all of my Gentle Yoga classes -- everyone who comes to these classes gets a chair (even if they don't want one).  It's de rigueur (English translation:  in etiquette; French:  in strictness) when you walk into the room.  We don't use them for everything in class, but we do use them.

So, I am always on the lookout for more things to do with the chairs.  People soon discover that chairs can be fun, chairs can offer access to poses, chairs can enhance poses, and chairs are not 'easy'.  Therefore, I am excited about a book I just received -- YOGA FOR OSTEOPOROSIS.

The book was waiting for me upon my return from Spokane.  It offers a great explanation of bone health, bone growth and destruction (even in healthy bones, this growth and destruction happens).  It's always a balance.  What I appreciate about the book is that it is written by two people - one a physician, both yoga instructors (Loren Fishman, M.D. & Ellen Saltonstall).  And, they acknowledge B.K.S. Iyengar and John Friend, as well as Krishnamacharya, for  their wisdom, examples, and tradition.

What's even better is that there is a wealth of new things for me to do with CHAIRS!  Good for osteoporis and osteopenia sufferers; and good for anyone with stability issues, or just a bit tentative about the poses shown in the book (shoulder stand, ustrasana, eka pada rajakapotasana prep, navasana, etc.).  Great stuff.

Teaching today at 10 am (Every Body's Yoga at Kula); 4 pm - YogaHour, and 5:45 pm - Level 1 -- both of these latter classes are at The Yoga Center.  Also taking a Pilates class between all this.

Hope you have a nice Thursday,

No comments: