Friday, March 19, 2010

NOTES, NOTES, NOTES . . .

I've been going through my routine this morning; interesting how it doesn't take long to settle back into old habits and routines.  Loving it.

As I walked back to this computer with my second cup of coffee, I pondered what to write -- then, I remembered:  I haven't done a NOTES blog in a lonnngggg time.  So, guess what?  Here goes:

I've been using the passage from the Tao (#63 - one line: "think of the small as large and the few as many") this week in my classes -- it works very well as a lead-in to working on the foundation and to paying attention to how students do even tadanasana, uttanasana -- any pose where they are tempted to 'just do it'.  I remember Christina Sell's post on 'just do it' -- in that blog, she told us her story of studying with Patricia Walden who had asked her to move into urdhva dhanurasana.  Christina's response, "should I 'just do it' ".  Patricia's response, "there is no 'just do it' ".  So my message has been that these poses, these poses where we are tempted to just 'bide our time' until told to move to the more fun stuff, are the building blocks for the 'fun stuff'.  These poses (tadasana, uttanasana, etc.) are where we become more aware and mindful of how we are holding our bodies, they reflect our attitude, and that will translate into all of our poses.

Second, I had a nice group for YogaHour yesterday.  Fun to be back -- I just wish this was a 90-minute class; it would be video material.  I was told once that as much as I cultivate my teaching, I must look at the students in front of me.  They are a reflection of my teaching.  And, since I must video a regular Level 1 class, this group would reflect my teaching in that category very well.

Third, the Level 1 class that followed was small.  That fact forced 2 young women who usually stay in the back row to move up to the front (they did this voluntarily).   It was fun to have them right in front of me and to really 'see' their practice.  Don't get me wrong, I move around and I watch people, but to give them my undivided attention was fun.  And, they (and the rest of the class) responded to the challenge.  (The challenge being set your foundation with intention and commitment, don't 'just do it' -- make it meaningful.)  Fun stuff.

Fourth, I'm reading the book I promoted yesterday (YOGA FOR OSTEOPOROSIS).  Wow!  The authors give very sound and convincing reasons why yoga is one of the better therapeutic and preventative activities for osteoporosis, osteopenia, osteoarthritis.  After a very detailed explanation of bone structure and the process of bone growth, osteoporosis, etc., the book moves into the varied methods, diets, supplements that will help us (and our students).  Then, an eye-opening concept -- that the process of muscle energy (which we use all the time in yoga, and is one of the principles of Anusara Yoga) will counter osteoporosis and associated conditions.  How, you ask?  The pressure our active muscles place on bones will cause them to begin their regeneration process.  And, because this process takes 8 seconds to begin, applying muscle energy in yoga (where our poses are generally longer than 8 seconds) is a very effective means to activate the bone regeneration process.  Remember, this is me paraphrasing a book written by others, so - while I think all this is accurate - before you quote me, get the book and read it yourself.  An additional substantiation for why we hug muscles to the bone as we move through our poses.  Valuable for everyone, young and old.

Enough -- off to get my haircut (7:30 am appt. -- ugh!).  Then, teaching Gentle Yoga at 10 a.m.  Then, who knows.

Have a fabulous Friday,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yoga would be great for osteoporosis. But just as milk alone is not sufficient, neither is yoga. The reason milk alone does not reduce the risk of osteoporosis is because we are far more deprived of the essential vitamins and minerals needed to build bone than we are of calcium. In fact, the hormonal imbalance that causes bone to be taken apart at a higher rate than it is being replaced needs to be addressed as well. These are two VERY important aspects of proper bone health that have been largely ignored by the pathetically simplistic calcium and Vit. D supplements. I have found a far more comprehensive supplement that is specifically designed to provide all the necessary components to allow your body to build bone and some herbs to help encourage adding density. It appears to be sold by a company called Nature's Rite and it's called Bone Density Maintenance. I've been using it and I like it very much. A more holistic solution.

Leslie Salmon said...

Thanks for your input - I agree, there are lots of things we must do to prevent / slow progression / etc. of this disease.