Tuesday, March 2, 2010

LESSONS LEARNED

February was a busy yoga month for me, do you agree?  Besides my regular teaching and attending public classes, I also got in 7 days (approx. 5 hours each day) with John in San Francisco.  I returned to SLC, and promptly attended Desiree Rumbaugh's weekend workshop one week later (approx. 8 hours).  I waited a week, drove to Driggs, and got in another weekend workshop with Christina Sell (about 10 hours).

Why? and what did I gain?

As I planned my class yesterday, I reflected on both those questions.  The why answer was pretty easy -- because I wanted to.  Other reasons in the mix include:  I need to 'kick it up a notch'; each teacher is different - each will offer new tools for my 'teaching skills belt'; and I know each person and love the way they communicate the teachings of Anusara® yoga.

And, what did I gain?  I took my thought process and planning a bit deeper and looked at what each had to 'teach' me, besides how to get my hamstrings warmed up, etc.  There was an overriding message to each.  This is what I came up with:

First from John Friend:  
Make it meaningful.  Stay focused and do each pose as if it was my last pose; otherwise, I might as well be doing an aerobics class, just going through the motions (no offense to aerobics classes).
  
Second, from Desiree:
Refine the basics.  With the basics under my belt, the more advanced poses will come easier.  It's not necessary to do an advanced pose every day (once I've accomplished it), because - with the basics - I'll know the way into that and other challenging poses.  

Third, from Christina:
Work in a disciplined manner.  I'm an adult, capable of adult decisions and - therefore - if I choose to work or not work that's my adult decision.  But, I will not advance unless I do the work.

I contemplated each of these teaching and came up with a correlation.  Do you see it?  
  • Desire      (John)
  • Study        (Desiree)
  • Work        (Christina)
                      OR
  • Attitude  -  Desire
  • Alignment - Study
  • Action - Work  
My theme was just that -- the 3 A's backed up by the month's experience  Heart quality - curiosity.  A funny heart quality.  But, unless my students cultivate their curiosity, they will remain like puppets -- doing movement and adjusting as I tell them to, without a lot of thought, meaning or independence in the movement.

Here's an example - one student steps back to a lunge, preparing for Warrior II.  Tendency - the front foot turns slightly in as the back leg turns out, causing the front knee to go out of alignment.  I can tell that person each time to straighten the foot, or I can empower the student to look at the alignment - study it - and adjust it without having to be told each time.  That's paying attention to our own tendencies; we won't pay attention unless we're curious -- hence the heart quality.

I've gone on long enough on this -- going to Wayne's class this morning, then teaching 4 pm YogaHour.

Have a terrific Tuesday, 

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love your post Leslie!! I was just thinking about curiosity this morning as my husband and I went for a walk. This is a differnt spin on the theme...

We saw a young boy on his way to school along a bikepath with grass on either side. He came to a patch of ice, that had been a puddle water and mud yesterday when it was a bit warmer. When we passed him, he was staring down at the ice edge...no doubt thinking, "Could this hold me?". I looked over my as we passed and his foot had ventured to the edge. I had to keep watching...he moved it forward and the ice broke.I thought, "Well, no he knows". I looked again and he hadn't moved away. He just kept testing the waters (so to speak). I marveled at how he was curious enough to keep going with the hopes of finding a place that would hold him. I commented to my husband that any adult would have stopped after the ice broke the first time.We know what will happen..or at least we think we do. I just loved the way the boy kept at it. It might eventually end in a soaker, but that would create a new boundary for him. Then when I read your post I knew that this is an area for me to explore for myself and to present to my students. Let's get curious and find new frontiers...I like it!

Beth ox