Monday, March 15, 2010

A MOMENT OF PANIC, AND BACK IN THE SADDLE . . .

Today is the move (of my parents into assisted living).  Big change, lots of anxiety, accompanied by some panicked moments last night.

But, this morning, things are calmer, more focused.  As soon as this blog entry is written, I'll get busy packing up the hutch - decided the fragile things should stay in their 'home' until the last minute and then hand carry them to their new location.

I am giving a big, public THANK YOU to all who have offered their support and words of encouragement.  In fact, the timing of each of these messages has been amazing.  Like last night -- just as I went to bed, I called my husband in hopes he would give me a bit of a pep talk (which he did).  Then opened the computer for one last check of e-mail.  Wouldn't you know there was a great message from Cindy, listing all the good things that will result from this move.  I can tell you how much that meant to me -- volumes!

Then, she sent an additional e-mail with a very appropriate passage from the tao de ching.  Here it is:


#63

Act without doing;
work without effort.
Think of the small as large
and the few as many.
Confront the difficult
while it is still easy;
accomplish the great task
by a series of small acts.

The Master never reaches for the great;
thus she achieves greatness.
When she runs into a difficulty,
she stops and gives herself to it.
She doesn't cling to her own comfort;
thus problems are no problem for her.

I love the first part of this passage -- it speaks about how we approach tasks in our lives, how we approach our yoga practice, etc.  We learned in Desiree's and Christina's workshops that the advanced poses in our practice are composed of building blocks of the basic poses.  We build the 'great' pose from a series of 'small acts'.

In fact, if I back up a sentence and look at my practice, I can find correlation.  'Think of the small as large, and the few as many.'  This, as we learned at the Immersion with John, is how he would like us to approach our practice.  Nothing is unimportant, i.e. tadasana is not just standing in place -- it's a pose and, while a basic pose, deserves the same attention as the more challenging poses.

Wow, need to contemplate all of this passage more.  Today, tho, is not the day for contemplating anything except moving boxes and placing one foot in front of the other, until it's done.

Thank you all,

No comments: