Sunday, March 14, 2010

WEARING THIN . . .

Try as I might, my patience is wearing a bit thin.

Each time my Mother tells me the same story for the umpteenth time, I smile and nod weakly.  In part, a recognition that this is much more than I had allowed myself to realize, prior to this crisis.  So, this move is right no matter what she (or anyone) tells me.

So, I'm doing what I can do to prepare for Monday.  We moved kitchen stuff yesterday.  While they have two of everything, the fact that I moved some of the 'favorite' stuff, is not going over well this morning as she tries to prepare her breakfast.   Small changes, like the time change, are also not being well received.

So, I retreat to my computer; to things that I'm familiar with, people I know.  Well, that is a minefield of patience-testing stuff, as well.   So, here's a rant about some of the things I'm reading -- you can read it or change sites right now, if you choose.

For example -- looking at websites, I find one that touts an "authentic yoga experience".  My immediate reaction:  'what am I and my studio, chopped meat?'  An immature response, perhaps, but what do people think when they read that?  That no other style than what this particular studio teaches is authentic?  That the rest of us are fake?  Each studio and its faculty has spent countless hours cultivating their practice and teaching skills.  For each of us, the 'authentic experience' is different -- for some of us, Bikram may speak loudly; for others, a power practice is more appropriate; for me (and you, maybe), Anusara is the answer (another bumper sticker), and - if I didn't mention a style - the list goes on.

Then to Facebook - filled with comments to titillate, but no details.  Then, response comments egging on the person to either 'tell all' or to 'be real'.  I guess I must do a lot of read-between-the-lines here, and - for me - it's important to stay out of the fray.  I could very easily dive right in and offer my own comments; unfortunately, that will only add fuel to their fires of discontent or titillation.

There was a question about yoga being free - interesting.  When has yoga ever been free?  My understanding is that, historically, the student came to the teacher and while under his tutelage paid with food or other 'sweat equity' activities for their lessons.   It's a nice concept, a nice gesture to give away something.  I give my skills away as I volunteer at the Jail.  Every yoga instructor ought to consider doing some kind of volunteer activity; but to give away all that they've spent time (and money) learning, is a bit unrealistic.

I did read good things.  I loved Tiffany's Facebook entry -- reminding us that we are all beautiful and strong.  I needed to read that.  And, her picture -- Wow!

Maybe I need a break -- yoga in Coeur d'Alene, perhaps?  Pull away from the tasks facing me and this computer, which I love but which causes a bit of angst in weak moments.

Excuse my rant.  Or, listen to it.  I'm not so sure I'm not 'spot on' with my comments.

No comments: