Saturday, March 20, 2010

BRING ME MORE ...

As I prepared to apply for Certification, I felt I needed more.  Who me?  The one who goes to tons of trainings and workshops, reads quite a bit, and is teaching more than ever.  More?

Yes.  I needed exposure to another kind of teacher.  A teacher who would give me a refresher on theme development, using and expressing heart qualities, sequencing, warming-up a class, and - even - how to get students to actually move off their mats to watch a demo.  The last part was key because the element of 'tough yet kind' was needed in my teaching.

I just finished my planning for today's class, and I did so with an overwhelming thankfulness for all the information I've received from every teacher.  I was especially thankful that I had chosen to do an on-line mentoring course with Christina this winter.  She provided tips, ideas, and a mental toughness to my repertoire of teaching tools.  Much was perhaps stuff I had learned (or heard) before; but, it was all needed to firmly implant it in my teaching.

It comes through, now - I think - when I teach.  I am able to confidently ask students for what I want, direct them when needed to adjust their poses, and - best of all - I have the 'moxie' to call everyone in the room over to watch a demo.

I am thankful I've had the opportunity to study with many great teachers.  I can tell you a wide-breadth view of what each has provided.  Here goes:  (note, these are the teachers with whom I've studied extensively)
  • From John - the knowledge of the power of my voice and and how to use it, along with a message to motivate people, not to mention providing Anusara®, itself.
  • From Sundari - the importance of always connecting with my students, both with my voice and my heart; that getting 'in their face' once in a while is a good thing.
  • From Martin & Jordan - good and valuable therapeutic information; philosophy and teaching basics, and a tip to work on my voice modulation (very important).
  • From Adam - the power of journaling and allowing myself to use notes.  Though I find, when I take a sheet of notes into the room, I rarely look at them.  The process of writing them has imbedded them in my brain for at least enough time to get through the class.  
  • From Christina - the value of empowering my students, and the courage to truly take the seat of the teacher. 
All these teachers, I've spent week-long trainings with (at least once or twice), plus workshops.  I thank them all.  

p.s.  After my touting the book yesterday, I wrote on Anusara's® Forum wall about ir (the book) and my ah-ha moment about muscle energy.  A bit embarrassing, as - at that time - I didn't realize Ellen Saltonstall is a Certified Anusara® instructor.  Oh well, live and learn -- at least she now knows that I LOVE her book.  

Have a nice Saturday,

No comments: