Monday, April 5, 2010

COUNTING DOWN & OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST (?)

 I have just 9 days until the Cleanse via Teleconference begins with Cate Stillman.  There's a 25 page document waiting for me at the studio that needs to be printed out and read, then I need to make a grocery list for next week, also need to pull the juicer out and find it a more permanent spot on the counter (not to mention the slow cooker for the kitchari).  These are just the tasks I'm aware of right now -- who knows what else I need to be doing (mentally or physically) to get ready for this season's cleanse.  As you can tell, I'm still not very experienced at cleanses, but going to give it a go.

Since last week, I've had my "Notes" notebook out and have been reviewing it.  So long as I've let some of my compulsive secrets out.  Here's another one:

I struggle with the languaging needed as I teach.  The inspiring words just don't flow for me as easily as they do for many Anusara® or Anusara-Inspired™ instructors.  Fortunately, I realize that this was the case for many who are now very accomplished instructors, so there is hope.

Therefore, I keep working with my verbiage, the way I put words together -- hoping they will inspire and yet still feeling a bit self conscious when I move from strictly technical.  One of the tools I've used is a "cheat sheet" of sorts.  As I take classes, trainings, etc., there are often phrases that resonate with me. Guess what I've created -- a document of "Ideas - Good Phrases to Use In Teaching".

This document is a good resource for me -- I've simply typed in bullet-point format phrases that I enjoy hearing and that might be easily re-phrased and incorporated into my teaching (if I remember).  For example:

“inhale the beauty around you (the shri); exhale, share that beauty (that shri) with your friends, family, community”

My inclination, in the past, might be to say "inhale, now exhale" -- strictly technical.  And, I don't necessarily use these phrases verbatum.  Just like my teaching, these are implements that I have to re-tool to make them my own.  Very important to remember: people know when I'm speaking authentically to them and not just from a 'script'.  Interesting that recently I surprise myself with some of the things I say -- kind of like "was that me who just said that?".  It does sink in; for some of us, it takes longer. 


Something else I've noticed recently is that I continue to underestimate my students.  If I instruct a pose on one side, I will - 95% of the time - instruct it on the second side.  NOT necessary, I find -- unless the students are new to the practice.  The importance of a pause becomes apparent in these moments -- give the instruction to switch sides, then pause to see what happens.  Offer students the opportunity to 'do it themselves'.  They continue to surprise and impress me and, what a great gift to the imprint of my teaching -- to see that they remember.


Teaching this morning (9:15 at Kula).  It's windy, blowing, and more snow is predicted for later today (lots of snow).  Hopefully, I will be home and off the roads when the worst arrives.  


Have a nice Monday and - if you're in SLC - drive safely,  

No comments: