Tuesday, April 6, 2010

DID YOU WATCH?

I rarely watch sports on TV (except for golf).  Last night tho, due to a family connection, I was interested in watching the basketball game between Butler and Duke.

My team (Butler) didn't win in points, but they sure won my respect (and, perhaps, the respect of many people - even Duke fans - watching that game).  To come up against such a formidable opponent, retain composure, and play a hard-fought game right down to the wire, was admirable to say the least.

When I write this blog, I try to keep the language focused on "me, I, my" rather than "you, we, our", just because I made a resolution to not sound 'preachy' when I started writing.  But, I am going to break my resolution (hopefully, just for today).

Think about your students.  The students who faithfully come to class, the students who aren't flexible and/or don't have a lot of body awareness, the students who are just stepping into this practice of yoga.  Reflect on what it takes them to 'show up' for class.

I remember my first experiences with yoga -- the first classes when I stayed in the back corner, and just tried to keep up.  Strange language, strange movement, new people.  I also was older and stiffer than most in the room -- an added benefit/challenge.  But, I kept 'showing up'.  Wouldn't have done that if it weren't for the teachers I experienced in those early days.

As I practice these days, I'm still stiffer than most.  I haven't mastered many of the challenging poses; but I am diligent about the basics.  And, I keep working -- at age 60, I still see progress (i.e. yesterday's vascisthasana, where I took a clasped foot up in the air !!!). Thank you, Amy -- the 'inner badass' is emerging.

I have students like me, as do all of us, and - importantly - I remember my first yoga classes.  I consider part of my job is to help students continue to 'show up'.  Because - even though I talk about this practice of yoga as an 'individual' activity - in the beginning, people require support, participation in their yoga lives, and my interest.  I believe my role is to be cheerleader, coach, trainer, and teammate in this new activity of their lives.

Snowed again last night -- more shoveling this morning.  While that sounds like not so much fun; when re-framed in the light of being good exercise (if we're lifting appropriately), it makes it all more palatable. Going to Wayne's class this a.m., then teaching YogaHour at 4 at The Yoga Center.

Hope you all have a nice day,

No comments: