Monday, April 12, 2010

IF I WRITE ABOUT IT . . .


If I write about it, I just may do it and stick with it.  A day or so back, I wrote about a 'niggling' thought of biking to and from the studio (and other places), when it's do-able.

Well, I mentioned it to my husband as we were having lunch Saturday, and his response -- a trip to REI, look at a new bike (more road friendly than my old one), cash in the dividend, cash in the 20% coupon, buy the bike.

FYI, if you're a member of REI, you received a 20%-off coupon for almost any full-price item in the store, including the brand of bike I bought.  If you don't have the coupon, as I didn't, they can apply it through the computer system.  20% can add up! Valid until April 17, I think.

Back to the subject at hand - bike riding.  So the bike is in the garage, waiting.  I rode it 3/4 of the way up our hill on Saturday - easier than I thought.  On Sunday, husband and I went out and zig-zagged our way around the neighborhood, encountering one significant slope -- not too bad.  There is a way to plan gear shifting in anticipation of hills, I'm sure; I just need to figure it out. The wind gusts, blowing dust in face (and eyes), wasn't pleasant, therefore we stayed out just 45 minutes or so.  But, a good initiation.

Mind you, I have ridden a bide before.  In fact, in my 20's, I used to ride my 10-speed almost every day to work and back (about 3-4 miles one way). And, I had a friend who used to get me out on the road on weekends to further my bike riding experiences. That bike is long gone (10-speed??? - the new one is 24). So, this will be a new experience in at least 14 ways (24 vs. 10, get it?)

Saturday's class was fun.  I was doing some headstands, kind of warming up, when first student arrived at 9 a.m.  Over the next 5-7 minutes, they filtered in.  Six in the room.  (My absence in early March decimated attendance -- being gone is not the way to grow classes (unless you have the skill, experience and reputation of, say, Christina Sell or Sundari).  Of those six, one was brand new, another returning to the practice after a long absence and - she said - a significant weight gain.

So, shift gears.  Move back to a more basic plan, instead of the plan that included the more challenging poses. Shifting of gears is the theme for this post, get it? Well, it happens. We start a class with a well-laid plan, then find that someone has an injury, is new, whatever. Something happens that is cause for the 'well-laid' plan to change.

I was so happy to have six people, that shifting gears was the least of my worries.

When I think of the qualities of studentship, they apply to instructor-ship, as well. Remember the elements (space, air, water, fire, earth). Apply water to my instructor-ship, and you have adapt - my ability to adapt, to shift. Water is always moving, shifting. When it encounters a rock; it will go around the rock. I have to remember these qualities and when they are applicable. There are appropriate times to be open (space), generous (air), adaptable (water), fiery (fire), and steadfast (earth). I hope to include bits of each as I teach, but know that some days one will be dominant.

Another somewhat rambling post.  On to teach 9:15 Level 1 at Kula.

FYI, I requested the test from Anusara®. I was pleasantly surprised that students asked Saturday about progress on the Certification path. And, since I had been thinking about asking for the test for the past 10 days or so, I took that as a sign it's time. What will it mean? It (the test) should arrive in a day or two. Will take 30 hours to complete. Has to be back in the arms of the Anusara® staff on the 11th day after I receive it. Me? Happily nervous.

Have a good Monday,

2 comments:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

yippie. anusara test! i am so excited for you. You will do great, you are full of wisdom. Looking forward to my next class with you

Ginger Coy said...

Go Leslie! Right on about the certification test!