Friday, April 23, 2010

IF IT'S FRIDAY, IT'S A 'NOTES' DAY

Back to normal.  Test is in the mail.  Slept well last night.  So, it's time for some notes:

1.  I took a class from Sheldon this week (he was subbing for Wayne).  During that class he mentioned the role of muscle spindles: that in a pose, the spindles' job is to protect us.  Gradually, tho, as they realize we are safe, the spindles will relax - allowing us to move further into whatever pose we're attempting.  It does take 90-120 seconds.  A good fact to share with my students -- the reason that I have them sitting in a pose longer than 3 breaths.

2.  Taught 2 classes yesterday, plus took a pilates class.  Both classes I taught were focused on hips and some restorative work.  Just seemed like the right thing.  Perhaps it was because I felt a bit relaxed after getting that test to Fedex; felt like staying close to the ground.  Feedback from the two groups:  just what they needed.

3.  Just updated my test log -- as predicted, 30 hours.  At one time, I thought 'no way'; 'no way could a test take that long'.  Well it does.  Maybe there are people who do it in less time, but I am comfortable with the time it took and that I gave it my full effort and attention.  Even to the log I've kept.  Now, I'll relax with my thoughts and contemplate a letter offering feedback.

4.  A couple weeks ago I offered to give some of the tips I've learned in trainings, workshops, etc.  Forgot about that for a while, but I've remembered - so here goes:

      A.   In Boston, October 2008, I attended a Level II Teacher Training with John.  We worked on handstand, and during that segment John advised that, when we teach handstand, we ask everyone to come into the pose the same way.  For example, if I want students to do the hip assist - then everyone does the hip assist (no being a wall, no using the wall).  This will help us keep track of everyone, and teach consistently throughout the room (no having to remember to tell this pair something, and the group next to them, something else).

This also keeps the 'playing field' level.  I experienced a bit of competition this week while subbing, so I have a fresh memory of that element in a class.

I've taken that advice into my classes for other poses.  For example, parvritta trichonasana:  if I have a range of abilities in the room, I ask everyone to do it the first time with blocks.  Reason:  It will give all students an opportunity to move from a very stable position, a position that they can explore the many elements of the pose without stressing about keeping that hand on the floor.  That is a pose that I usually will have students repeat.  The second time around, students are welcome to dispose of the block, or keep using it.

    B.   At the same training, John encouraged us to acknowledge every student at some point in the class.  I notice that I always acknowledge the newer, less experienced student; but I sometimes overlook the very accomplished student.  Everyone needs a word of praise, encouragement, etc.

- - - - -

Snow / rain this morning.  Not the most pleasant of weather situations, but good for the plants and seeds my husband planted this week.

Hope you all have a fun Friday,

1 comment:

Ginger Coy said...

Congratulations on completing your exam! Thank you for sharing your experience with it. I am hoping to become inspired soon after I complete 2 years of teaching :)