Wednesday, May 12, 2010

BACK IN MY COMFORT ZONE

I returned to Salt Lake yesterday afternoon.  A comedy of errors to put it mildly -- including a schedule that put me into SLC at 3:10 pm.  I had my checked bag and was in the car by 3:30 pm, driving out of the airport at 3:33, on my way to teach a 4:00 class at The Yoga Center. The exciting part is that from the moment I turned the ignition key, the "needs gas" light was on, and I had no idea for how long it had been on before being parked(!). I decided to go for it, praying that I wouldn't be one of those people on the side of I-80.  I arrived at the studio at 3:55 pm.  Quickly changed clothes and took my seat.

This is one time I was thankful for my students' pattern of arriving either right on time or a minute or so late.  Lately, tho, people have come early -- I can only hope that they (the early-arrivers) waited.

As I sat in front of this group of students, I hoped I would remember 'how' to teach.

We worked on vascisthasana, taking it to the vrksasana variation and then doing Christina's version of 'wild thing' (starting from down dog, lifting a leg and taking it (the leg) over and behind, finally arriving in 'wild thing'). This version is a bit scarier than moving into it from vascisthasana, since you have a sort of high altitude descent into the pose.

That was the point, tho -- to push the envelope a bit. I find that's where my growth in the practice happens -- when I push the envelope open a bit further than comfortable (or pretty). The next time I go to that same place in a practice, it is easier and much more comfortable; a shift has happened.  John called this process 'diksha' once in a training.  'Diksha' is Sanskrit, meaning initiation. He used it with a connotation of threshold. Go to my threshold in a pose - take a step or two across it and see what happens.

Remember my post a few days ago, about 'making a mess'. Well, this is about the same - I don't grow or change until I make a mess. So, falling's o.k. - awkward looking poses are o.k. - just open that envelope a little more. Then go back and see what's happened.

All this to say, I didn't forget 'how' to teach.

Vascisthasana is also a good pose for me to give the 'don't move your hands/fingers' talk. In fact, one student came to me after class to say that once she applied that discipline of strengthening her connection with the ground through her fingers and palms, the discomfort in her wrists and shoulders disappeared. Nice to hear.

Teaching Gentle Yoga this morning (10 am at The Yoga Center); then to the jail this afternoon (to teach).

Enjoy your Wednesday,

No comments: