Thursday, May 27, 2010

CAREFUL -- BLOGGING IS INFECTIOUS

Just finished reading a new addition to my 'favorites' list -- BJ Galvan's first blog.  The link is on my list - to the right of these paragraphs and under "blogs/websites I love".

One more viewpoint to glean from -- Love It!

My class yesterday (Gentle Yoga) was fun. It is nice to return from a weekend away and have welcoming voices telling me they're glad I'm back. I was very happy to hear that they enjoyed Marianne's subbing - that makes my heart happy. Do you notice that, once you've grown a class, it becomes like your child? You like to get away once in a while, but have to make sure that the students are well-served in your absence.

The other interesting thing I noticed yesterday is that each student comes with a history and - the longer I work with them - the easier it is to remember that history. As a human, I know that I love it when someone comments on something they remember about me; I think that applies to most people. Some are more demonstrative and receptive, but everyone appears to get a glint of appreciation(?) or maybe that's surprise when I ask or comment about something.

This reminds me of the last Tucson training (3/2009), when John and Darren had a discussion in front of all of us. John quizzed Darren (Rhodes) about their first meeting, their first shared meal, and other details about some of their work together. Darren remembered most; John remembered all of it. His point in doing this in front of us -- to show us that if something is important enough we remember.

I remember the first time I met BJ Galvan - Cincinnatti, May 2006. I remember partnering with her and how good she made me feel with her welcoming and confident voice. I also remember the first meal we shared -- a salad at the hotel restaurant. It wasn't planned, I just stumbled in there looking for food. I took a seat, noticed BJ, and was flattered when she invited me to join her. We talked a bit about the training, our experience with yoga and Anusara, and our lives away from yoga - especially about our children. From that point forward, we have remained in contact; not 'joined at the hip', but always taking a moment to touch base or share a meal when possible. And, the fact that she always takes a moment to shout out her support and encouragement makes me feel valued. A good habit to emulate.

All this to say, I remember because it's important to remember -- each student becomes a part of my life, whether they attend every class with me or show when schedules allow. Each is a valuable gift, not to be taken for granted.

Making myself cry -- time to sign off and get on with the day. Teaching at 10, Everyone's Yoga at Kula; then Pilates with Cindy; teaching YogaHour at 4pm at The Yoga Center.

Enjoy Thursday,

No comments: