Wednesday, May 26, 2010

FLATTERED BY QUESTIONS

One of my concerns as I began this blog is 'who is going to read this thing?' and 'do I have information or material to offer that will be of value to anyone?'.  That soon turned to 'I'm not worried about who is reading, this is good for me', as I saw an aspect of my personality begin to emerge through the writing - a positive result for me of this endeavor.

On several occasions lately, a question will arrive out of the blue, telling me that there are people out there reading. Who knew? And, the fact they are asking questions of ME is very flattering.

When I reflect on the reasons for beginning to blog, one primary reason was to give information - especially information that would be helpful to others beginning or moving along the Inspired™ path. So much that we do as we progress in this journey is self-directed, meaning - Anusara® tells us what our steps and requirements are - yet, we're kind of on our own to figure it out and to accomplish the tasks needed in order to move forward.

So this blog is about 'questions'.

One thing I see happen at trainings and workshops is a reluctance by students newer to this journey to ask questions (even some seasoned students won't ask). For example, I will sit in a training and wonder about something being said by John (or whoever is speaking). Eventually, maybe, someone will ask the question; often, nothing is said. I know I used to think my questions were 'dumb, inconsequential, not smart enough'. No more. I've learned that many questions I ask are things others in the room are wondering about. So, I ask - I still hesitate, wondering if it's 'appropriate or smart enough', but I still ask.

Of course, I could take that to the opposite extreme - asking too many questions; so, I limit my questions to one or two per training. Even then, I'm not always called on. But, I try.

Just an 'aside' story -- watching Christina Sell over the years has contributed greatly 
to my growth. Her skill as a teacher is well-known; but, my first encounter with her 
was observing her ask questions of John. Such guts, I thought. And, while my 
questions may not be at her level, she inspired me to stick my neck out and ask.  

And, I'd like to reach Certification soon; in order to do so, I better ask - someone. If my questions don't get answered at the training, I'll approach one of my teachers or my mentor to discuss the issue.

All this to say, if there's a question - ask it.  Either of John, or someone who works for John, or the Forum, or your mentor, or your teacher, or someone who's walking the path with you (including me).

To date, no one has told me that any question is 'dumb' or 'not smart enough' or not worth being answered.

Enjoy your Wednesday,

No comments: