Friday, May 28, 2010

FRIDAY NOTES . . .

I enjoy blogging on Friday (or any 'notes' day) -- seems like more 'fun' to just jot down random thoughts as they come to me.

1.  Speaking of notes, I had a question during the week about my method of note taking - the process of getting them from the handwritten stage to a more useable format.  Perhaps others are curious, so here is my not-so-scientific method:  Hand-write the notes in class; then let them simmer overnight and type them into my laptop the next morning (amazingly, things distill and become clearer; I even remember more stuff the next morning - this may not work for everyone). I use the word processing program on this Mac (Word was easier, sorry - just what we're used to), and lots of the formatting tools to make important points stand out, plus space - space, to me makes things easier to read and absorb?!?!?!  I make sure I date them and put training type & location on each page and page numbers (use the 'insert', 'header' or 'footer' for this).

After reviewing the draft a couple times (I hate typos), I print the notes and file in a 3-ring binder. I have a big binder for trainings with John (I've done most with him), and 4 other smaller binders for notes related to other trainings (Christina's on-line mentoring; Sundari's teacher training; my Immersion and Teacher Trainings with the Kirks, etc.)

In this format, the notes are easy to read and I do go back and re-read them occasionally.  In fact, this blog has caused me to re-read notes several times as I look for bits of information to offer.  Each time, I have an 'ah-ha' moment as I discover something I'd forgotten.

2.  So, why do all of #1?  It relates back to yesterday's post - about remembering what's important.  When it's important, we give it our best attention and our best effort.

3.  Teaching yesterday morning - a variety of skill in the room (and languages). Got a good reminder as I scanned the various trichonasanas in action. What?  to wait and watch for a few breaths before moving in to adjust or embellish. Poses grow, and right before my eyes!  As I moved through the room, I made mental notes of the embellishments needed after checking everyone's foundation, when I moved back the poses had expanded and no longer were those adjustments needed -- amazing and beautiful to watch! And, as I commented on this to students, you could see little smiles of self-empowerment throughout the room.

4.  Another wake-up moment happened in my Gentle Yoga class.  Students in virasana - a pose they do not enjoy, yet. One mentioned her knee was uncomfortable and therefore her knees were wider (her solution). I had them all come out of the pose and explained 'shins in - thighs out' action, even in virasana. Student tries it again, no knee discomfort with knees closer together and thighs parallel. What wake-up moment? They appreciated hearing a somewhat detailed explanation of this action's (SI-TO) affect on the legs.

5.  And another wake-up moment - gave bakasana (crow) a try in YogaHour. A sore wrist or two, which lead to discussion of hand placement and energy. A request to try moving through a vinyasa using this energy and without moving the hands. I kind of felt like a drill sargeant, as every movement (from downdog to plank to cobra to down dog) was followed by "don't move your hands", "stay steady in your connection", "be commited". Wow, the power the hands can give our poses.

6.  So, what's the theme of each of these 'wake-up' moments? That students are curious, interested, and value when I tell them the 'whys' of what we are doing.

7.  O.K. the moment we've been waiting for - a tip:  I noticed yesterday that I was teaching quietly in my morning class - a result of not wanting to interrupt an ongoing savasana in the next room. Interesting that I noticed, because I was teaching some challenging poses at the time and my bigger voice would have been helpful. Came across these voice tips just now:

  • Breathe - full, deep breathing enhances my voice, especially in the chant
  • Excitement breeds excitement - let my voice convey my excitement about what I'm seeing
  • Tone comes from the heart - how can I ask them to open their heart, if my voice is flat?
  • Project to each corner - talk BIG not loud
  • My voice reflects my enthusiasm, my authority, my knowledge, my kindness
  • Maintain voice level through instruction
  • Use my mature voice (I think this means "no baby-talk")
Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend & be safe.

No comments: