Tuesday, June 15, 2010

AND, #400

I spent a few moments thinking about this post before starting to type.  It seems that when the pressure is on, the creative processes are not (or may be well hidden). So, be forewarned -- this will not be the most inspired, most thought-provoking, most mind-blowing post you've read from me. It will just be another in a long line of writings. The number 400, doesn't mean wonderful, it just means 400.

Not to belittle the accomplishment - but, also not to raise expectations.

I did teach yesterday - a small class at Kula, which was fine. Interesting the reaction to a small class - from students and instructor. I can either go in and feel depleted due to the lack of energy (numbers) in the room, or I can feel o.k. with the small-ness and teach to what is in the room. It used to be that my reaction was the former - as if, the small number was a reflection of my presence or my teaching ability. Students react similarly and they either love it or hate it (the small-ness). A reflection of comfort in numbers?

No longer do I let myself feel that way - a small group is a combination of factors, many we have no control over. Being a new teacher at Kula, people don't know me. Having been a student in many of the classes at Kula, there may be a perception of 'what can she teach me?'. Being older (yup, there's the age card), perhaps there's a perception that I won't be energetic enough. Add to that all the community stuff - on vacation, school's out, weather is nice, work schedules, etc., etc., etc. Some things are beyond my control, even how I am perceived.

I also think a small group has to be pretty stalwart -- has to hang in there with me as others learn about me and my skills (what I have to offer). It seems that's the way it happens - a few come to class regularly and faithfully, and gradually that grows. I and the students have to be comfortable with the word 'gradually'.

The small group allows me to develop skills that a large class doesn't always leave time for -- the luxury of getting to know the student(s), answer questions, get through the foundation and form of the pose and get into refining a pose, while a larger group might be sweating bullets as they wait to come out of whatever pose I have them in.  I do know that, when the class is small, a frequently heard comment is 'you notice a lot'. Yup, I do and, many times, I apologize when it happens; warning them that I am a bit 'nit picky'. I get 'nit picky', not because I want to wear them down, or point out their faults, but because I want them to feel good in their poses, to feel each pose as a work of art. That can't happen if I - as the teacher - let things slide. I do remember to look for the good before the 'nit picky' hits.

One thing that is always on my mind is the following advice:  In many of JF (and other) trainings, emphasis is placed on getting the room ready. Arriving early to straighten props, spiff up anything that looks amiss, move a bit; all this, to set a tone, an energetic pulse that will carry forward into our teaching. Whether 2 or 20 people arrive, the process of establishing that pulse is important. It's our intention, it's saying 'this matters to me'.  Then - if the class is small - I am able to welcome them with the same intention: to teach because it matters to me; giving them (the students) my best effort.

On with the day - class with Wayne, then an open afternoon for laundry, etc., then teach YogaHour at 4. Having a photographer come in to take some shots of the studio, me teaching, then some of me alone. Never seem to have a picture when someone wants one; gonna solve that problem today.

Enjoy your Tuesday. Tomorrow, #401.

1 comment:

Ellen G. said...

I feel VERY fortunate to have been able to be a student in your small Monday class this past week. GREAT teaching and attention to things that needed attention...thank you Leslie! I will attend more for sure!! Namaste, Ellen