Monday, June 14, 2010

POST #399

Let me say it again -- it hardly seems possible that something I began 16 months ago, I am still doing and doing regularly.  Onward . . .

A little sore after the practice on Saturday. A tip from Skeeter was relayed to the group -- that Inner Body Bright means not just getting taller and longer, it also includes getting broader.

Give it a try - get long AND broad as you practice today, pay attention to what happens.

For me?  An effortless ustrasana - one breath I was thinking 'longer & broader', a few breaths later I was gripping my heels. Same thing happened when we did a few 'camel droppings' (I think that would be the accurate name), using the wall to walk our hands down. Broaden, lengthen, create brightness in all directions - not just out through the top of my head.

It's interesting how I get a mental image of IBB (inner body bright) and make it into a lengthening effort. There's no word in IBB that says 'long' or 'broad'. Perhaps as I work on this more, I need to think "inner body glowing", just to re-frame the concept, beginning to think of myself as a lightbulb (for lack of a more romantic image), with light emanating from all aspects of the bulb.

A similar thing happened (this need for 're-framing') when it was pointed out that lengthening and broadening involves the entire torso -- not just the front body. When I started to work on that one, pulling my lower ribs back in (instead of flaring them out front), many of my poses changed, got stronger, more vibrant, less 'taking it in the back'. I believe the knowledge came at almost the same time from two sources - first, from a workshop I was attending with an Anusara® instructor; then, as I worked with Cindy in Pilates (keeping the ribs 'knitted' in front is a big deal in Pilates, so I have to give credit where credit is due).

Post #399 should be more exciting; but, it isn't. Perhaps I'm saving something big for #400 -- it hasn't come to me yet, tho, so - no promises.

The first-ever Immersion in South Dakota finished up yesterday. Pictures are on Facebook (look for Doc Savage, if you aren't already his friend). Kudos to him for pulling this off with BJ, and for gathering a very photogenic and dedicated group of Immersion students.

Also, another blog to add to my list of frequently-read missives:  Kim's blog - authenticselfyoga - contains good information. Kim is an experienced yoga instructor who, for the past year, has been plunging into her Anusara® studies. Her perspective as she discovers the magic of Anusara® is refreshing. Check it out.

Teaching at 9:15 this morning at Kula - Level 1; then an open afternoon. I do have an appointment with a photographer this evening - just to meet. I never have a professional-looking photo ready when someone wants one of me; then I see everyone doing 'photo shoots'; so I decided, why not? Suggestions for a location? Many people use the Great Salt Lake - the reflective power of the lake and the desolateness make for great elements. It's been used a lot, though, which makes me think somewhere else would be better. We shall see if he has any creative ideas.

Take care & enjoy your Monday,

1 comment:

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

Wow 399 how exciting. I like your insights on IBB. Adam and I have been working on my IBB for a while. I love expanding in the chest and i always try to remember expand through the chest, laterally through the sides of the ribs, and into the back of the heart...now I will add 'longer & broader' :) And thanks for the blog shout out, very exciting thanks for reading. loooking forward to reading your insightful 400th post