Monday, June 21, 2010

CHANGE . . .

I am in Spokane dealing with parental issues again.  Besides, it was Father's Day yesterday -- a good reason for a visit.  While I'm here, I'll help where I can -- meeting with realtor, meeting with lawyer, settling some outstanding financial issues, maybe making a doctor's appointment for my Mother.

Right now, tho, I'm sitting with a cup of coffee and my computer, checking e-mail, catching up on Facebook, and watching the rain from my cousin's family room window (oh, and writing in the blog).  Finally summer in SLC and I flew away from it !!!  House clean (for the housesitter, no less) and I flew away from it !!!  Oh, well.

A few months ago, I believe I commented about a friend's statement to me as we talked about our parents and their situations. She said, 'no matter what or how much you do, it will never be enough'. Finding that out, first hand. My mother is settled into an apartment in an assisted living complex, my father is in a skilled nursing facility down the road a bit. For my mother, who is struggling with depression (or dementia - since I hear they mask each other pretty well) it's o.k.; for my Dad, who is sometimes very sharp mentally, but physically unable to live elsewhere, it's not such a pleasant situation.  Try as we might, we can't force recovery on either person - we can only watch and try to make good decisions. Decisions that aren't always liked (by parents), but decisions nevertheless.

Sorry to dump on the blog, but once in a while . . .

I also wrote a few months ago that I would try to do a better job of planning than my own parents, so that my son and stepdaughter do not have to make these kinds of decisions without a plan. Add to the list, I will try to remember this time of my life and be appreciative of all efforts made. Aging is not easy and until you face it head-on, you really don't have a clue what's in store - hopefully, I am able to face it gracefully.

This relates in some ways to the friendly blog debate I witnessed recently between a more mature instructor and a fiery, younger instructor. One's viewpoint - we change as we age and that may affect the way we approach our yoga practice. As this person ages, she finds she has to be open to her practice changing from a fiery, energy-charged one, to a more contemplative, measured practice. Both are good. Both will serve us - just at different times of our life. We are not able to predict how our lives (or our practice) will change as we grow older (and wiser).  (I'm trying to relay the message here - hope it resonates with someone.) Basically, that different things are appropriate at different times of our lives.

I think it relates to the teaching John gives - that we can change our bodies, even create change for our children, if we work on new patterns of movement & alignment. A similar mental shift might also happen with the appropriate effort. Setting a goal, working towards it, implementing it and - voila - shift happens. Personally, I saw it happen when my son was born. My family is less-than-demonstrative and my tendency is to do/be likewise. I made a commitment at the time of Derek's birth to hug, cuddle, smooch, talk, etc., etc., etc., so he never doubted the love I felt for him. It worked - the shift happened. I see it in him as he relates to his children, his wife, his friends.  Enough.

I brought my video camera; not because I'm going to teach, but so I can download a couple videos onto the computer and then - hopefully - onto a DVD.

Going to try to get in a one or two classes at Garden Street Yoga (Karen Sprute-Francovich). And - going to a cardio class of some sort this evening with my cousin's wife, Susan, and a few of her friends. Haven't done anything like that for a LLOONNNGGGG time -- got to keep an open mind.

Hope your Monday is a good one,

No comments: