Saturday, June 26, 2010

CURRENT IMPOSSIBILITIES

I read the two words 'current impossibilities' in an on-line course for changing our behavior and attitude towards ourselves and others. I was led to the course out of curiosity about Elena Brower - Anusara® Teacher (extraordinaire, I think - I'm not exaggerating), from New York.  (A reminder -- Elena was to lead the 10,000 person+ class in Central Park this past week. She started the class, only to have a thunderstorm roll in.)

When asked by a friend about the experience, albeit short, Elena's response:  "AMAZING. It was great. I gave them 10 minutes of pure heart."

I think it's interesting that there was no complaint, no statement like, 'darn rain' or 'could the Park Service have let us do it anyway'. No blame. Just acceptance and gratitude for the 10 minutes she did have in this situation.  Lots to contemplate in these last 2 paragraphs.

As I wove my way through her blog, website, etc., I came to a site called "The Art of Attention". Lots to contemplate here, also. What caught my attention first, tho, was the statement "If you're comfortable with your current impossibilities, stop here."

Now I'm wondering what are my 'current impossibilities'?  Here's a short list:
  • Older
  • Heavier
  • Less flexible
  • Philosophically inept
  • Socially, a bit underdeveloped
O.K., so that's a short list (I probably could go on, but why ruin a nice morning). If I examine each, what   and why is it a 'current impossibility' or is it?
  • Older - well, not a lot I can do about this. Can't turn the clock back physically. I can, however, be more youthful in my attitude.  Resist the temptation to pull the 'age card'. 
  • Heavier - this I can change; it doesn't have to be an 'impossibility', unless I choose to let it.
  • Less flexible - yes, I am. I accept that and I work with that. More disciplined work might change it more quickly.
  • Philosophically inept - I feel this every time I write a class plan, theme or story; as in, what's the philosophical link. How do I express this link so that I feel authentic about it and others embrace it. Practice and study.
  • Socially, a bit underdeveloped - how I wish I had stepped out of the comfort zone and into yoga in my 20's, 30's or early 40's. Just look at how I've changed in the past 13 years (if you don't know me personally, you won't be able to relate --- that may mean everyone reading this post). The change, to me, is palpable.
Well, I just put 5 'current impossibilities' to rest.  They are no longer in the 'impossibility' category. Each requires work; I can do the work. 
The important thing to note in this exercise -- I am not comfortable with having these 'impossibilities' as a part of my life. 
On another note, I met a most amazing student yesterday -- a student who has come to yoga in her early 50's. A nurse by profession, she is waking up to her body. Says she always thought yoga would be good for her, but didn't have an opportunity to give it a committed attempt until recently. In each class, she finds and comments on the 'ah-ha' moments. She is so aware of what is happening that it's tempting to throw her into the lake of knowledge and, perhaps, have her sink (remember the sponge analogy). Over-saturate her with all the lingo and nuances of the practice; slow down, pace myself. 
Love it when students take the time to tell me what/how yoga is affecting their lives. So good to hear.  
Teaching at 9 - Level 1 at The Yoga Center, then practice from 1-4. 
Hot here; hope your Saturday is a good one, 

No comments: