Wednesday, June 9, 2010

HUGGING IN

All week, month, year(s), I've been reminded of the power of hugging in. Especially in my legs. I practice it and - for sure - I teach it.

I received a note from a Florida friend 2 days ago, reminding me where I first became aware of the power of my legs.  Santa Fe, 2007, Advanced Therapeutics with JF. We're doing parsvakonasana, with mucho emphasis on the back leg. As the assisting instructors roamed the room, one stopped next to me to make an adjustment and help me realize just what John was teaching and asking us to do. That in this pose, as in others, the back leg doesn't just wait for it's next movement - it's actively working, foot pressing into the floor - inner thigh muscles activated. After that session, I felt those muscles for a couple days. And, I've never forgotten the result.

What? That by strengthening and using those leg muscles in a standing pose like Parsvakonasana, I reaped the benefit of stronger legs in all poses. I especially notice it in arm balances, with the leg over a shoulder or resting on the triceps. That comforting hug in of the leg, a result of activating those inner thigh muscles makes anything seem possible, even if my expression of a challenging arm balance is not quite the same as the person next to me.

Additionally, I remember the first time I felt that hug as I put a leg over the shoulder. My reaction? Whoa -- where did that come from? Then, I remembered - inner thigh work.

Why share this with you. Well, it was fun yesterday to teach an arm balance after asking students to work their inner thighs. Then, to tell them of the connection. I'm not sure they were as excited as I was as I relayed the information. But, now that they have an awareness of 'why' I'm asking them to do this work, I believe they will begin to notice the results show up in other aspects of their yoga.

SO. COOL.

I will probably never forget that instructor and I will always be thankful to her for her encouraging and demanding assist. She made sure I got it, before moving on to help others.

Congratulations to Doc Savage on being recommended for Inspired™ status by BJ. Good work! I looked at the Anusara® roster, and believe he is the first in South Dakota. Go Doc!

Teaching Gentle Yoga at 10, at The Yoga Center; then a bit of paperwork, general clean-up at the studio. Fun, Fun, Fun -- Gentle Yoga, that is.

Hope your Wednesday is a good one,