Wednesday, June 23, 2010

REMINDED . . .

I just read a blog and the author's story reminded me of a student's comment to me after class last week. A story/comment worth sharing. A story of the little-recognized effects of yoga on our lives.

Student B arrived in my class about three months ago. Like many women, she had spent many years taking care of family, perhaps working, but not much time had been spent on her own physical health. She came to me to try yoga, to "remember her power" (my words for what I commonly see).

One thing I witness in women and men who have not done much physically since high school or college, is a loss of 'body awareness'. This particular student fit perfectly into this mold - little body awareness, but - at the same time - she maintained a relatively fit-looking physicality. Deceiving. Put her on a mat and ask her to step the right leg back, and it became apparent. I am sure her body contained the strength to do the movement, her emotions did not trust her body; she didn't know (or remember) to what extent she could move.

B has come to class each week, sometimes twice a week (with a couple exceptions), since starting my class. She is anything but a giver-upper. Her coordination and strength improves each week.

Last week, she waited after class and told me of an unexpected result of her yoga practice.  She had traveled to attend a family celebration - a celebration that required a good bit of organization.  Problem was, no one had attended to many of the details. As the event began to unravel, B stood up and took charge. While it wasn't her job - she was only an invitee - she made decisions, she delegated, she took control of an otherwise-chaotic situation. The result? Event happened, event was a success.

While some may have done this, yoga or not, B gives credit to the yoga for her ability to stand taller, to project a confidence she had not before, to get the job done. She took charge.

I love these stories. They make the study, the planning, the teaching, the cajoling, the patience needed at times, the insecurity at times - they make it all worthwhile.  They help me stand taller.

I should never underestimate my power or my ability to affect peoples' lives - even if it's not physically visible at the moment.  As I said earlier, B's practice improves each week. Her poses are stronger and more aligned each time I see her on the mat. She's like a sponge; one that was wrung out to the point of almost being dry - each time it's as if the sponge were sitting in a small amount of water and is slowly, but determinedly, moving towards fullness.

Have a nice Wednesday -- sun is shining here. Hope it's shining where you are.

No comments: