Wednesday, June 30, 2010

THREE WAYS . . .

A written mis-communication yesterday led to my pondering the 'three ways' rule and it's application.

What's the 'three ways' rule?  When teaching, I need to have three ways to say an instruction. Why? Because not everyone is going to understand an instruction on the first round - they may try to do it, just like I say it, but it's not really 'clicking' with their body or their mind. Say it again, in a different way, and it 'clicks'.  I was told this by JF in my first teacher training with him.

An example:

     ME:   "sit up straight"
     STUDENTS:  "what?"
     ME:   "from your hips to your armpits, grow tall; lift your heart and extend the crown of your head to the ceiling"
     STUDENTS:  Sitting straighter, but lifting chin.
     ME:   "as you sit taller through your torso, release your chin slightly - your gaze straight ahead"

This example happened yesterday in YogaHour. Just following the 'miscommunication incident', I used communication as the word for the class. I also told them about the 'three ways' rule. A light-hearted group, the first "what?" was meant simply as joke on me and my theme (I had also commented that it was o.k. in my classes to say 'what?' whenever an instruction needed further explanation.).

Throughout the class, tho, I found several places where I used the rule. I had to find 'three ways' to say instructions. The interesting point is that when I used it, it wasn't for the complex - it was, many times, for the simple instructions (like "straighten your knee"). Perhaps we get into poses, our bodies get set, our minds embrace where we're at, and when someone comes along to change (or enhance) it, inner rebellion happens and we don't respond immediately.

My own personal example is that for the first several years of my practice, teachers repeatedly asked me to 'straighten both elbows in down dog'. I always thought 'what? they are straight'. It wasn't until someone asked me to 'hug my forearms to the midline', that I felt the strength of both arms working and the instruction 'clicked'.

All this to say, I never should begin exchanges via e-mail or Facebook that might better be handled verbally.  But, if I ever do it again, I'm not sure the 'three way' rule is good for written communication - by the time I find the right way to say something, too much damage can be done (topic for another post).

Today's class is Gentle Yoga at 10 am. Some of them read this, so I may be employing the 'three way' rule for them, as well (pranksters, that they are).

Sending my love to AJ, Jeff & Harper Grace. Such grace AJ is displaying in this difficult time.

Have a nice Wednesday,

No comments: