Thursday, July 1, 2010

THREE THINGS . . .

There have been times in my life when I did not work outside my home. I might have been called a 'corporate wife'; staying home, taking care of my son, entertaining friends and co-workers of my husband, etc., etc., etc.  Whenever we entertained (as in, had people for dinner), the common question of friends was 'what are you serving?'. My response was 99% of the time, '3 things' -- I would never call myself a great or adventurous chef/cook/whatever. But, I can do '3 things' pretty well (a starch, a protein, and a vegetable). I never counted dessert, but we usually had something.


So, the title of this post, 'three things' returned easily when I considered what I was going to write about.


First of the 'three things' is a thank you to Anusara Yoga West LA and Santa Monica (a Facebook group) for their following and support of this blog. It is so flattering to be reading through Facebook and come upon my latest blog entry re-posted on their page. And the way it was introduced:  "Lost in translation and the latest installment of Leslie's on the way to certification blog! xoxo" is so much fun -- especially the 'on the way to certification' part.  Love it.  So, thank you, again.


Second, I had a good and long chat with Sundari yesterday. I am so appreciative of her as a friend and mentor - she is truly exemplifying the manner in which I hope to act and be treated. She is creating for me an atmosphere of friendship, support and sincere interest, as I move along this path. That is so important and I appreciate it more than I probably express to her. The example she sets is powerful for me.


I had sent a video for her to review and offer fine-tuning tips, and to use as the basis for my annual Inspired renewal. As we talked, she asked about my teaching. I described what I have encountered recently - the challenges presented by students and the actions I've recommended to them. We exchanged thoughts and - fortunately - all that I've been saying and recommending is supported by her. Our conversation shifted to deeper aspects of teaching. I came away from all this feeling good about my journey and re-energized to continue video'ing, studying, teaching.


When choosing a personal mentor (which is different from the mentor assigned to us once a video is submitted for Certification review), here are some things to consider:
  1. How available is this mentor to you?
  2. What are this mentor's time constraints?
  3. Do you 'click' with this person? Are your experiences, background, goals similar enough that you will be able to develop a comfortable conversation, especially when receiving feedback?
  4. This mentor does not have to be the person with whom you've done Immersions or Teacher Trainings, simply a Certified Anusara® teacher with whom you have experience and who knows you and is willing to work with you as you move along your teaching path.
  5. Do not overlook that a personal mentor should be compensated for their time. Discuss this part of the arrangement.
A few conversations with the desired mentor ought to give you a sense about these points, a gut feeling about whether it will work or not. The process can be long, so take care on this early step to assure it is the best experience possible.


Third, well it's been so long since I started writing this blog (lots of interruptions), that I've forgotten. When I remember, I'll make a note and include it in 'notes' tomorrow.


This morning, cleaning house, yard, etc. Pilates at 1 pm; teaching YogaHour at 4 pm.


Enjoy your Thursday,

No comments: