Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ASK FOR HELP

I sometimes stop before I ask for help; thinking that the act of asking may imply a lack of knowledge. (Refer back to a blog several weeks ago.) Lately, tho, I've given up that premise; maybe asking for help is a sign of intelligence, me thinks.

You'll notice, if you look back at yesterday's blog, I got a couple of very nice comments; one that gives me lots to work with as I teach.  I took advantage of the opportunity and the knowledge displayed, to ask that teacher about other issues that have presented in my classes.

Wow! I got a veritable treasure trove of advice and information. All done in a very matter-of-fact manner; none of it reflecting my insecurity of "don't you know that by now?".

After reading the e-mail response, I went to the blog and read the last couple days' entries. Both were full of information. I am always so amazed when blog authors write theme ideas, plans, sequences - so generous. I've never copied or used someone's sequence, but reading others' ideas has caused a few of my own to come to life.

Another post related to a gift she had given a grieving couple and their gift back to her - a testimonial.

This reminded me that we all are offered things at times - even if it is a simple compliment or the words 'thank you'. What is challenging for me - at times - is accepting those gifts. Many times, my tendency is to receive a 'thank you' or a compliment with the response 'it was just something . . . '.  Think about that for a moment -- if it was 'just something. . .' then what or why are they thanking or complimenting me? I just negated their effort to give me a gift of appreciation.

I get so into the 'giving' mode, that I forget that 'accepting' sometimes goes hand in hand with 'giving'.

On another matter, I got a call last night from a person wanting to start yoga. She asked a number of questions and finished with the 'closer' - "what do you charge for a class, because I'm broke but my doctor said 'do yoga'". Well, how do you handle that one? If it hadn't been for the blunt honesty, I might have reacted differently. We came to an agreement; now we'll see if she shows for a class. A bit of yoga 'pro bono' in action. (This goes hand in hand with my old fundraising mantra "if you don't ask, you don't get".)

I usually try not to preach here; try to keep everything from the "I" or "me" perspective.  But, I am stepping off that platform with a subtle hint to studio owners reading this -- ANSWER YOUR PHONES (OR, AT LEAST, RETURN YOUR CALL MESSAGES)  When I bought the studio 7 years ago, I made a pledge to myself to answer the phones. (Too many times I've traveled, looked for a studio, called that studio - never to get a response.) Since I'm not always in the studio, how do I do that? I forward the land line to my cell. So, I'd estimate I can answer 80% of the calls that way. And I also return calls - most of the time. And, it makes a difference - just last week I had a new student arrive. Her reason for choosing me - the class description sounded appropriate and I ANSWERED THE PHONE. 

On with the day. Hope your Wednesday is a great one.

No comments: