Thursday, July 8, 2010

ON CHANGE . . .

The big change in my yoga life lately has been a shifting in the classes I'm able to attend. The SLC community is small -- as in 2 Certified and 6 actively teaching Inspired instructors. So, with the 'ceasing of operation' of one studio, I need to look around and shift things a bit. Not easy, but do-able. It also means more discipline in my personal practice.

I found out yesterday just how interesting change is when I apply it to one of my classes. For example, I taught Gentle Yoga (Anusara-Inspired™) in the morning. We usually set the mats up in good Anusara® alignment -- straight across; one or two rows.

Because my goal for the class was to do a number of poses using the wall for support and grounding, I set up a sample mat and prop display. Very professional, Leslie, I thought. Mat perpendicular to the wall, 2 blankets, 1 chair, 2 blocks and 1 strap. I decided, since there are usually 7-8 people in this class, to line everyone with their supply of props in an L-shape along 2 walls. I felt pretty good about the 'prop display' and my plan.

I felt good until students began arriving. The implications of change, it seems, truly can apply to my classes, as well.

Let's just say that not everyone was pleased with the change.

There are students who have a favorite spot to be in the room, there are students who need to be close to a post (balance issues), there are students who are just used to the 'regular' way. I thought I might lose one or two, before we settled down, centered, chanted, then began to move.

When I was a member of a fundraising board for the area mental health agency, I remember attending meetings and purposely changing my position in the room at each meeting. Even there, it seems, people tended to sit in the same chair - or at least the same position at the table - at every meeting, next to their favorite people or away from the line of fire. I decided to change it up a bit (perhaps that was the precursor to this devilish behavior of mine).

What I learned from yesterday's experience is that my students accepted the change after a few minutes, but not without 'fighting the good fight'. It was a test of my resliency, as well. As in, could I hold out to the pressure? Could I stand firm? Could I truly step into and take the 'seat of the teacher'?

They did (fight the good fight), and I did (hold firm). The class proceeded as I planned. Towards the end there were comments that people actually enjoyed it.

The moral of this blog? Not much, except to say that if I want to test my skill as a teacher - one good way is to ask people to shift their regular position in the room.

I remember reading once in The Yoga of Discipline, Gurumayi's thoughts about examining the state of our minds -- that our desires sometimes cloud the spiritual experinces around us. I wouldn't say changing your space in a room is a spiritual experience, necessarily, but I get her point - sometimes we cling to what we know out of a misplaced desire. Renouncing a habit is not easy and not to be done without contemplation; however, letting go is sometimes very good and even more valuable and able to be accepted when understood.

So, once students understood and experienced the reasons for the shift in the room set-up, they were o.k. with it.

It was a test, tho, for them and me.

Have a great Thursday,

2 comments:

Judy said...

Leslie, No big deal yesterday. I think people were just jokingly "giving you a bad time," because they feel comfortable kidding around in the class. It was not a battle between wills!

Leslie Salmon said...

Thanks, Judy -- I know it was in good humor; but, I also recognize change is not easy sometimes, even with the little things and for me also.