Tuesday, July 6, 2010

THE THERAPEUTICS OF YOGA

This week (and this morning, in particular), I was reminded full-force of the power of yoga to help people. And, not just with their physical conditioning; tho, that seems to be the reason most uninjured people start yoga.

During the week, I had several seasoned and newer-to-me students appear in class with injuries or conditions, asking for help.  This morning, I received an e-mail with an attachment to a blog that listed the 101 health benefits of yoga.  If you wish to look at that link, let me know. (I hesitate to link anything that I'm not absolutely sure is not 'infected' with something that will negatively affect our computers.)

I also received an invitation to participate in a local program for people suffering from MS.  This will be the studio's second year at this event; one of the better ones I've participated in. Smaller and more comfortable, and totally geared to the comfort of attendees, first, and presenters, second.

In 2007, I attended my first "Therapy Training" with JF in Cincinnatti. It was fun and it was overflowing with information. At the time, I wondered "where/how am I going to use some of this"? I remember going to dinner with some of the training participants and there, a fellow trainee - more experienced than me, but still a student - remarked "You will be amazed at what happens after these trainings. People begin appearing, asking for you to work with them." I nodded, thinking to myself "no, that won't happen - they go to their doctors".

Three years later, I realize that yes, they do go to their doctors and physical therapists - who often refer them to yoga.  Who knew?  I love it, I think it's smart, but who knew?

What, you might ask, am I seeing? Here's a short list of things people are struggling with:

  1. Bad knees, shoulders, backs, ankles, etc. (it is an active population we work with here - hiking, biking, skiing, exercising, etc.). So, lots of alignment -- shins in, thighs out, shoulder loop, expanding spiral & contracting spiral, etc. Sometimes I think of it as a puzzle; trying to figure out what's happening and what will serve the student.
  2. Total joint replacements. The newer generation of these is amazing - much more range of motion than some I've seen. One recent incident involved someone who has just not moved her knees much since her surgery(s). There's fear of pain and an uncertainty of just what she is capable of in her mind. A big hurdle to overcome, but do-able.  
  3. Pulled muscles. Neck, ribs, legs - you name it, it can be traumatized. I go back to JF's repeated reminder of what happens when a muscle is traumatized - that it pulls away from the supporting structure beneath it. Muscle energy is a good place to start for these injuries; hugging the irritated muscles back into their optimal position. Hard work.  
  4. Anxiety. There are many students appearing these days as a result of anxiety. One phone call involved a young man whose friend thought yoga would help, and probably a restorative class. I wonder. I love restorative yoga, but wonder if the slow-moving class, the class where we stay in poses for 3-5-7 minutes, the right class for someone with anxiety issues? I believe 'it depends'. So an inquiry is in order. What happens when this person is asked to sit or lie in a position for that long? In anxiety, there is a fight or flight response of the body - will lying still help with that in everyone? Maybe a class with a pulsation of work - some energetic, some rest - grounding and rooting down as we rotate between activity and rest; like that.
  5. Degenerative Diseases. I mentioned MS earlier. The balance work we do in yoga, plus just general movement is very beneficial to the students struggling with degenerative conditions. Participating in a class, participating in life, is a mental boost for these students; and a social connection. Very important, in my mind. 
So, my co-trainee was right; people are arriving for help and there are more. These are just a few. People are looking for help, something that doesn't involve pills, that gets them into good company, an activity that gets them moving. An activity that creates movement and leaves them feeling better about themselves. Yoga?  Yes, yoga!
Feel free to offer your thoughts.  
Enjoy your Tuesday,  

3 comments:

mariacristinayogi said...

In regards to your query about the student with anxiety, I would highly recommend restorative yoga. If you are working with that student privately I would put him in Legs up the Wall for a few minutes and then Savasana. I wouldn't leave him just there however, I would guide him through a meditation so that his mind is busy. One thing that I've been doing in my classes, that has been incredibly helpful has been a guided chakra mediation, visualization. If he is really anxious you can do a more viny-restorative and introduce gentle and slow movements, linking them with the breath. Say "inhale lift your arms up, exhale bring them back down" in Savasana- and do that a few times. Lastly you can even tell them to open their eyes if they feel safer. Restorative yoga stimulates the Relaxation Response which has been proven to lower blood pressure and lower glucocorticoids, adrenaline, all those stress hormones. Please let me know how it goes! xoxo Maria Cristina

Leslie Salmon said...

Thank you for your input -- well said; and I'll put the information to good use.

Doc Savage said...

Good stuff. This is the reason I hope to get accepted at Santa Fe with John. I need the Therapeutics training for our Kula and community.