Monday, July 26, 2010

CARSON'S ARRIVAL . . .

My fifth grandson, Carson, arrived unexpectedly Friday night. He is a bit premature (4 weeks), which I wouldn't have thought too much about.  Unfortunately, his lungs are not as developed as his outer body, so he is being helped to breathe and given a bit of support in this first period of his life.

After a few hours of phone calls, I flew to San Diego to support my son and his family as much as I could. Lots of people in their life, but another one (including your Mom), never hurts.  I arrived Saturday early evening. Got updates, visited, settled in; an early morning wake-up on Sunday, brought the news that they were transferring baby to a more advanced facility with a specific ventilator to help him.

After 36 hours, he is still giving them 'fits and starts' - perhaps an advance notice of his personality?  We can hope that's it.  Nurses and doctors say "it won't be easy, hills and valleys, but he ought to be fine; with no residual effects from this".  That's encouraging -- just what two parents who have 2 healthy youngsters at home and have never dealt with this kind of an issue, need to hear.

Life throws us challenges when we least expect them.  They teach us how to grow, act and react gracefully.  I'm not happy that this happened, but I know that Carson is teaching them a lesson -- a lesson in patience, a lesson is resilience, a lesson in love.  I could go on -- he is teaching them so much that they have never been exposed to. Who knew that someone so young could impart such valuable lessons.

I don't like to have my newest Grandson teaching these lessons; I'd rather he be a healthy, bawling baby boy. But, we take the not-so-good and work with it. Always learning.

On my way back to SLC as I write -- just waiting for the plane.  A short visit. Once the crowd around them thins, I'll return and help as best I can.

I missed you, but I hope this entry explains my absence for a couple days.

Enjoy Monday,

No comments: