Tuesday, July 27, 2010

HOME AGAIN . . .

As I typed the title for this post, several similar ones came up -- a sign of my life lately. Lots of travel, making me appreciate my previous stay-at-home existence - unless the travel was for fun stuff.

I arrived home, dropped off suitcase, visited with dogs for a bit, then headed to the studio to do the dreaded paperwork.  Each time I leave, I complain that the studio becomes like flypaper -- always something to be done. It was similar last night. Forms had run out, so had to be re-printed; deposits needed to be made; data needed to be entered; and the monthly newsletter needed publishing.  We have tons of new offerings at the studio in August, so an early heads-up was important -- give everyone a few days notice to plan these new classes into their schedules.

Home, again, after 11 pm -- there have not been many studio nights like that one, fortunately.

I also had scheduled a private session which happened sometime between entering data and doing the newsletter.

Love privates.  They give me so much to learn from.  Once someone asked me how I structure a private. Well, there isn't much to structure until you actually meet and get to know the student.  But, here is a brief rundown from last night, which might be helpful to those of you who don't do privates much.

First, is to get to know the student a bit. (If you have ever attended a JF therapy training, one of the first things he does is get to know the person he will work with. Not just their therapeutic issue, but also a bit about their likes, dislikes, activities, etc.) This student has done several classes with me, so I had some knowledge of what the student wanted to work on. The first part of our session was embellishing that history, without seeming too nosey. It's their session, so I will begin by asking them what they would like to work on -- a pose, something therapeutic, whatever. From there, we progress.

Last night, the goal was to work with the after-effects of a whiplash injury.  If you remember, I've mentioned that - in therapeutics trainings with JF (and other Anusara® instructors) - injuries like whiplash cause the muscles to pull away from their underpinnings; leaving them 'blowing in the wind' (how's that for an analogy).  Our instinct is to stretch them, this - we think - will help them heal. The pain makes us think that the muscle is sore because it's tight; so stretching is good, right? Not necessarily.

Stretching may be good, eventually; once we've learned to stabilize the injured area. But first, think about the 'blowing in the wind'; a sail flapping against the mast doesn't do the sailor much good -- a taut sail can handle the wind much more effectively. The answer, then, for these muscles that have been traumatized, is to get them back to their position of security. How? Muscle energy.

Remember, this position of security may not be the most comfortable - it may cause discomfort. I tell students who complain of discomfort that the muscles have been 'flapping' out there and bringing them in to the 'mast' won't necessarily feel wonderful at first. Those muscles are a bit tender to start with, or they wouldn't be doing the private; activating them will naturally be an 'interesting sensation'.

This student complained of right side neck and shoulder blade pain from the whiplash. I reflected on what I've learned. I first just looked - observed what the body was telling me visually. Right shoulder lower than left and moving forward slightly, and neck moving forward; the back was slightly rounded through the thoracic region. So -- side body long, head of arm bones back, shoulder blades secured on back; now, pull ears towards back of room to counter the head and neck thrusting forward. After we adjusted and talked about this (feels weird, right?), I had student lie on floor. Then, press the back of the head into the mat, press elbows into floor and lift shoulders from floor.  Did that a couple times - this will strengthen the back of neck and shoulder blade muscles. I decided some restorative might help; placed a thin roll just below armpits and asked student to simply lie over it for a couple minutes as we talked. Moved off the roll, and had student replicate the posture instructions, securing shoulder blades on the back. We did some hip stuff as student lay on the floor. I find that if we just work on the one spot of complaint, we can overdo it; so, distraction.

As I re-read this, I remembered how interesting it is that students often do not realize one shoulder is lower and sometimes won't believe it. Ahhh, the power of mirrors. This student was worried that other people might have noticed the slight lopsidedness, reassured when told that I had to look closely and carefully to notice these things.

During the hip stuff, the neck pain returned - especially when reaching the right arm across to grab the opposite leg in supta padangusthasana.  What happened?  Student released the ME in the shoulder blade, stretched that poor muscle, which - in turn- pulled on the neck muscles. I repeatedly asked the student to notice, because this is one of the great things yoga teaches us -- awareness. If this student notices what feels good and secure (if a bit uncomfortable) vs. what is painful, then discerning choices can be made. And I know this student will do the 'homework'.

After the hip work, we worked with the breath a bit (there's some anxiety mixed with all this, and we've discovered - student and I - that the breath is having a positive affect). Finally, savasana.

So, there you have it -- my structure for this private (observe, discuss, move, distract, address other associated complaints). Granted, not your typical private. But, what private is typical? People usually don't drop money for a private unless there is an issue. As I explained to the student last night -- it's similar to doing a puzzle, figuring out which pieces go where - what's the best fit. The body, then, grasps that and, if the work is done, improvement (aka 'magic') happens.

Gotta love it.

Enjoy your Tuesday,

No comments: