Friday, July 23, 2010

FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY . . .

I have forgotten or been 'too busy' for two weeks. This morning I am not going to forget or be sidetracked from my 'notes'.  Let's not waste any time:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS to Tiffany Wood.  Officially a Certified Anusara® Yoga Instructor. No more needs to be said. But, I will say more. Those of us who have studied, practiced, and are moving towards Certification know how much work and dedication is involved in this process. It's a HUGE accomplishment and one that Tiffany ought to be standing on rooftops and shouting out to the whole Universe -- or, maybe she is; I just can't see her right now.  
  2. The Anusara world is a-buzz over the 5-page spread in the NY Times, compiled from an interview with John Friend and research on Anusara® Yoga. I skimmed the article when I got home late last night. Will go back and read it again more thoroughly. I enjoyed what I read - a good article that 'seemed' objective and brings more attention to this wonderful style of hatha yoga. From the sounds of Facebook entries, the article ruffled some feathers. I won't (and may not ever) comment much more -- I know that Anusara® is my yoga. It has brought immeasurable personal growth to my life. Whether JF is or can be demanding is not my business - unless it directly affects me; but, having worked for successful people in my life -- I understand. You are NOT effective at what you do and bring to the world, sitting back saying 'sweet' or 'nice'; you have to work hard and tread on some toes at times. Enough. (The Yoga Mogul - John Friend, Creator of the Anusara School - NYTimes.com)
  3. On readership: I was excited and proud to receive a comment from a reader from Australia (is it good yogic form to be 'proud'? I say 'yes', if it's life-affirming). I remember being happy when someone from New Jersey popped up one day -- Australia is a lot farther away; but, I'm finding, in this Anusara® world, very close.  Thank you, all, for reading and for writing. I did some 'research' on this reader, found that she just started a blog. I read the first entries and find good stuff; I especially like some of the analogies used. Her blog:  http://findingcurrents.blogspot.com. 
  4. All classes are interesting - I could write a blog entry about each; about the students, about what I taught, about how that teaching was received. Yesterday's YogaHour was no different. All new-to-me students (as in, they'd done yoga before, but only one had been to one class with me before). They were all relatively new to Anusara®. That was kind of a first - since I began the class, I've always had one or two 'regulars' in attendance. Not complaining, just describing. These kinds of classes are good for me to go back to my default class - moving through the modifications of vascisthasana. Why? Because I am able to teach without having to 'think' too much, which leaves me able to observe more effectively. Not sure if that makes sense. But, with a new group, being able to teach a well-practiced sequence allows my thought processes to be more with them, and less on "ok, what pose do I teach next".
  5. Going to open one of my notes binders and try to see what pops up on the first page I turn to. Here goes: (Truth be told, I had to turn the page to get this one - one I have been working on recently.) 'When teaching a large group or class, distinguish between a universal instruction (one that all students embrace) and a personal modification.  Personal modifications ought to be addressed softly only to the person needing the enhancement.' 
    • I think, upon reading, this sounds pretty clear. No matter how nicely we 'couch' it, a shout-out to the class (i.e. "Good extension, Sally; now take your gaze to the lifted arm.") may be received as a criticism. Better to offer the compliment, then move to 'Sally' and ask her to lift her gaze.  This has been tough for me to get into my teaching; but, I noticed (upon review of those 'handy-dandy' videos) that it is happening.  
    • And, I may, on occasion, give an enhancement that applies to 2 or more people, and - in those cases - I do say it to the entire group and attempt to make eye contact with the ones needing it most. What happens? They get it, and the others in the class get bigger and brighter. Everyone can benefit from a 'secure your shoulder blades and lift your heart' once in a while.  
It's a holiday weekend here in Utah - Pioneer Day Celebration. (This is celebration of the day the Mormons entered the Salt Lake Valley and proclaimed "This is the place".) Interesting that it's almost a bigger celebration than the 4th of July. For the studio, no change in class schedules. For me, a couple of sleepless nights -- our dogs and fireworks do not mix. 

On the slate for today:  
Gentle Yoga at 10 am at The Yoga Center
Some practice, some errands, some housework
Another hair appointment at 4 (we cut it yesterday - oh, it's short; we are going to liven the color up today -- the grey is nice, but a bit straw-like on me; need to do something)

Hope your Friday is a good one, 

No comments: