Thursday, July 22, 2010

MY REBEL'S EXPERIENCE

We all have one - a person in our lives who resists convention and, even, caution at times.

Mine is a woman I've come to know through my teaching. She arrived in my class 3 years ago, seemingly healthy yet struggling with balance issues. From the start, she displayed a fiery demeanor - determined and dedicated to bring physical balance back to her body.

Ultimately, it was found that a complex and unusual condition was causing the balance issue. According to this diagnosis, no amount of yoga will improve the balance.

By the time she received the diagnosis, yoga had become an integral part of her life; an important element in her routine and she continues coming to class. We experience tumbles occasionally. This does not stop her. She continues to come to yoga and we continue to learn - she and I - what we can and can't do.

So, what about the rebel? Yesterday, I took attendees in the Gentle Yoga class to the wall with their mats, chairs and blocks. I'd been reading a book (dangerous) and had some new ideas for doing poses using the wall. One was to stand perpendicular to the wall, wide-stanced, with a block against the wall. Then place the foot closest to the wall on the block and move into Warrior II. The block is meant to equalize the pelvis level (I think is also gets students further into the bent knee). The idea came from "Yoga for Osteoporosis".

This version of a pose is probably not the best for someone challenged by their balance. Yet, as I taught the pose, I was surprised (and pleased) to see this student giving it her best effort - and, doing it excellently, despite my suggestion she take the easier route and skip the block.

Students continue to amaze me - students struggling with issues/conditions and the students who arrive with no apparent limitations. In our conservative neighborhood (close to The Yoga Center), it is not the easiest thing to take the path less traveled and attend a yoga class.  Imagine, the new student walking into my studio:

  1. Review the schedule and decide which class to take (what's Anusara®?, what's vinyasa?, which class suits me best? etc., etc., etc.). ((More validation for answering the phone, answering these questions in person.))
  2. Walk in the door (it took me three passes before I'd walk in the door - true story)
  3. Remove the shoes (what? take my shoes and socks off? I attended 3 classes before taking my socks off - another true, embarrassing story)
  4. Walk up a long flight of stairs to ???
  5. Look into a big room occupied with some funny looking statues, some wall hangings, and a ton of blankets, big oval fabric tubes (bolsters), blocks, straps, etc.  
  6. Fill out a registration form, sign in, and pay money (for what? what do we do in yoga?)
  7. Get a mat, get some blankets, a block, a strap -- now, line them up:  facing a certain direction, in line with the rest, props neatly arranged (what, again, are props? and what will we use them for?)
Quite a bit to do before the instructor arrives and begins to explain this whole yoga thing. Lots of hurdles to cross and hoops to jump through. So much easier to just take a walk (we know what to expect on a walk), or just stay on the couch.  

I appreciate that each of the students coming to classes makes this journey, and makes a choice to 'stay in the room'.  And, I love the rebels.  

Today's Plan:  
Haircut (yeah!)
Teach YogaHour at 4 pm

Have a good day,

No comments: