Wednesday, July 28, 2010

MY STORY

Many of you reading this blog know little about me, except that I write a blog and that I am an Anusara-Inspired™ yoga instructor.  I read Christina's blog this morning, in which she encouraged us to tell our stories.  Her words on Anusara®:  "I think each one of us is its integrity. I think that each one of us is its majesty. And in my heart I know that each one of us is its future. The stories we tell today about yesterday will shape our present."

My story (so far) goes like this:  

John Friend once described me as one of the “slow movers” of Anusara® (my words for his description of me).  I was not offended; conversely, I took it as a compliment -- because I saw watchfulness in these words.  He continued to explain to the group that I began very slowly to step into Anusara®, and I had steadily continued my studies until I became a very regular and loyal student of his and the practice. 
Step back to 1997, at age 48, when I decided to try yoga.  My husband and I had relocated; my decision not to go back to work left me with loneliness as a frequent companion, and depression visiting frequently.  
He (my husband) suggested yoga; so, I found a studio and took a class.  I returned a week later to take another.  Then, stopped.  Six months later - an even more desperate person (me) returned to try again.  In this class, a different instructor talked about ‘grace’, and her blooming studies in this newer system of hatha yoga.  Golf, running, working out, and skiing had taken their toll, leaving me with tight hips, a rounding back, and sore knees.  Never had ‘grace’ and my name been included in the same sentence.  I was intrigued -- even though today I know the ‘grace’ of which she spoke meant so much more than just physical grace.  
This was my first exposure to Anusara® Yoga.  
As I continued to practice Anusara®, I was told it would be next to impossible to study with John Friend, based on his growing popularity.   Now, I am not the ‘step-out-of-your-comfort-zone’ type of person, but this challenged me.  
I applied to one of the final retreat weeks at Inner Harmony.  I called after a few weeks to check on the status of my application and was told the week I’d applied for was full, but there was space in the week prior.  I accepted the spot -- I was in -- for what, I had not a clue.  
Inner Harmony, at that time, was a wonderful retreat center outside of Cedar City, UT, with space for 60+ workshop attendees, some in shared rooms, some in dormitories, some in yurts and tents.  

On a Sunday in September 2004, I climbed in my car, by myself, and drove approximately 200 miles south of Salt Lake City to Inner Harmony.  Of the 60 people attending this session, I was one of four who had never met John before; and, for me, it was the first time I had ever done
anything like this.  
  
Three days into the retreat a family emergency called me back to Salt Lake City.  In the following months, cards and e-mails arrived from many present at Inner Harmony that week, expressing their regret that circumstances required me to leave.  
John’s impression on me was great; the kula’s impression on me was over-the-top.  I applied for the next workshop with him in Tucson (perfect, since my mother-in-law lived there).  At that workshop, two things happened that began to solidify this partnership:  
First, from across a room of 200 people, he called out my name to remind me it was left leg forward in pidgeon, not right.  Imagine my shock -- one, that he would remember me after those few Inner Harmony days, and, two, that from across the room he could see I was off on the legs!
The second happened as I talked to him at the end of class.  I waited my turn, I thanked him and told him of the outpouring of support I had received - to me it spoke volumes about his work to create a community as part of our Anusara® practice.  Then - a mind-searing occurrence.  Someone came up to talk, interrupting us.  He turned to that person, politely asked her to wait, and turned back to me to finish our short conversation.  Wow!  Someone who teaches yoga so well AND listens attentively. 
The label of “slow mover” fits, as it did take me a while to really get into Anusara®.  Not sure why; perhaps because there was a lot to unravel so I could begin this new venture in my life.  
And starting ‘slow’, I believe, contributes to my sticking with it.  Too often, I have rushed in, excited and eager, taking  on too much too quickly.  Only to find interest fizzles.  By starting ‘slow’, I received little delicious tastes that kept enticing me to look for more, to do more.  


Today, I am an Anusara-Inspired™ yoga Instructor, and have been accepted onto the Certification path.  Just like many of our yoga poses -- this experience keeps getting more challenging and more fulfilling. 
Much of my life is not that different today -- same caring husband, same family (plus some new grandchildren), same house, etc.  And, there’s this ‘new’ part; a part filled with many friends from our kula plus new and different memories, goals, aspirations, and yoga.  I must say thank you to that ‘same caring husband’.  And, that I am proud to be called a “slow mover” by John Friend.


So, that's my story (and, I'm sticking with it). As I re-read it, I am filled with gratitude - to my husband, to the fact that I did 'try' yoga, to being able to meet John Friend and the many people at that first retreat -- many of whom are now very good friends, to being part of Anusara®, 'the yoga of yes'.  


Enjoy Wednesday,

2 comments:

Olga Rasmussen said...

I'm there with you sister, another slow mover! I used to have a plastic turtle glued on to my mat - a nice reminder of pratyahara - there is a place for all of us in Anusara!

Love and blessings,
Olga

Kimberly Achelis Hoggan aka Sita LivDeep said...

I really enjoyed reading about your story. Thanks for sharing