Wednesday, July 14, 2010

PICK A POSE . . .

First, a word about Paul McCartney - WOW !

Besides a great trip down memory lane, the audience was gifted with great guitar 'jammin', a few fireworks, a bit of banter, and some laughs. A wonderful experience. The best part for me? Experiencing such an icon of world music as he made sure WE had a great time.  Nice.

YogaHour is a fun class to teach, and I have some great students who show up each week (actually twice a week) to take the class. As I scanned the row of students in chaturanga dandasana, I thought "darn, these guys are video-able" (the problem? a one-hour class).

What I did last week and this, was pick a pose as the class focus. Just FYI, when I learned about YogaHour classes, Darren Rhoades explained that each class centers around a word - just one word, and a mini-theme develops around that word. I've tried to do that, not every time is successful.  So, the last couple classes, I picked a pose - shared a picture of the pose, described what we need to do to get to that pose, in the way of warm-up, and we're off. From that pose, I'm able pull a heart quality (word) and use that throughout the class as we work towards the pose.

I guess it's working out like Darren described it. It's just that this approach - picking a pose, then the verbiage, seems to work better for me. It gives me a firm goal to be reached in one hour. And, if everyone isn't to the 'goal', we modify.

Yesterday, we worked towards bird of paradise (svarga dvijasana). Everyone got the wrap, and everyone stood up in the pose. Interesting (and enlightening) that when I encourage people to take their time, pause to re-group along the entry to the pose, it appears to be more accessible. Faster is not always better.

A side note on a challenge - the student who travels their own path. I have one. This student will arrive in class and do their own practice, if what I'm asking is not to their liking(?). In a recent class, we all stayed in sync until student popped up to shoulderstand (without any blankets and with a VERY flat neck). Instead of ignoring this diversion off my planned path, as I've done in the past, I directed student to come out right away. Then asked everyone to grab their blanket, set up for shoulderstand in the 'healthier' manner, allowing space for the cervical spine, and everyone did it.

I suppose I could say I 're-claimed' my seat in this situation. Shoulderstand wasn't in my thought process, so it was a compromise of sorts. I do think we (this student and I) are on the path to understanding my role as instructor (guide) and their role in a class (passenger following instructions; instructions meant to help and keep them safe).

As I write, I think - what if student reads this? Well, hopefully (after a bit of defensive reaction), they will understand.

Schedule Today:
Gentle Yoga at 10 am at The Yoga Center
Plan to attend Tiffany's class at The Shop, 5:30 today

Enjoy your Wednesday,

1 comment:

Doc Savage said...

Your last two posts have been great and insightful. Oh and I'm diggin' Sir Paul and the boys much more now than when I was younger. I like the one word class since most of mine are 1 hour. Today will be Tapas/Fire using the natural heat outside and creating more inner heat with your practice. At least your student stuck around. I had one walk in yesterday and see I was subbing and walked out. Guess my teaching doesn't serve her.